1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire 5050 laptop turns off quickly.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lolgic, Jul 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lolgic

lolgic Thread Starter

Hi everyone, a little while back the power pin of my Acer Aspire 5050 laptop came loose so it couldn't get power. I let it sit a while and just got around to ordering a replacement part. Now the laptop gets power but it turns off quickly. I've noticed that it turns off faster after consecutive attempts. (First time maybe 5 to 8 seconds then it just turns off a couple seconds after you try to start it.) The fan starting going hard before going off. I would have liked to experiment a little more and do more trials but I was afraid I might damage something. I have tried this with both the cable and the battery together and each separately. It doesn't make a difference. Thank for reading, any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

2. lolgic

lolgic Thread Starter

I cleaned the fan without a difference. I have noticed that it behaves the laptop behaves the same regardless of if the fans are hooked up so I don't think it has anything to do with that. I'm stumped so if you have any id as please make a post.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That sounds to me as though the heatsink has come loose as well.
    I suspect you need to remove it and use fresh heatsink compound and replace it.

4. lolgic

lolgic Thread Starter

I can't feel anything get hot on the laptop and the air the fan blows out is cool. This makes me think it isn't overheating. Am I wrong?

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Not necessarily true.
    If the heatsink IS NOT working, the the CPU can overheat very quickly before any heat gets transfered to the rest of the system.
    The fan just cools the heatsink which will still be cold even though the CPU itself may be too hot.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1103089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice