1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ACER Aspire 5051 - Freezes with lines down screen..?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by paulb100, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

Hi,

My girlfriends new ACER 5051 from ebuyer keeps freezing with lines down the screen
    (see here - http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?p=106542&posted=1#post106542)
    this seems to be happening more frequently....

I suspect bad memory as it only came with 512 so bought ebuyer value 512 (which is actually samsung - a good make i wud have thought) and i think both modules are faulty and the 'shared memory' ATI graphics chip is trying to write to the bad memory causing this freezing with bad screen...

I ran MEMTEST on each module and it showed 12 errors after 20mins on the ACER 512mb
    and 2 errors after 15mins on the ebuyer... to be sure i ran MEMTEST on my old laptop that has 756Mb and showed no errors after 20mins...

Whats the chances of me buying a laptop and memory from ebuyer and both faulty???

has anyone else had problems like this or know if it is the memory>?

I just want to be certain of what it is as my friend sent his back to ACER twice (they had it 2 weeks each time and they didnt seem to do anything?) and the problem is it starts and like just now i have been on for 45mins and hasnt yet crashed..but it will...they are likely to ship it back to me as it is...so i wont have a 'repaired' laptop...

Any Advice will be greatlt appreciated

thx

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it tested bad with memtest, it needs to be replaced. You can also try reseating them.

By the way Windows Vista has its own memory tester. Run mdsched.exe

Both a quick and extended test is available.

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

RR is correct about the problem being faulty memory.

If purchased with a credit card, contact the CC's customer service for assistance with Acer, if you contact Acer and encounter resistance.

Your state may have a lemon law. Check with your state attorney general's office.

RF123

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

I have ested it with Vista test...and it finds NO ERRORS on BOTH modules tested in EACH slot..???
    however MEMTEST86 finds just a couple of errors after 5-10 mins...always at same address on both modules in any slot...adress 00x00000000 all errors are at thiss address under dif tests with MEMTEST86...so Vista Memory Test must not be any good?
    I have re-seated the ebuyer RAM into the 2nd slot and it seemed to be ok...ive since swapped and tried the ACER ram back in the 1st and 2nd slot and it hasnt crahsed yet...
    However, im trying to get it to crash as quick as I can as we are goin to get a replacement from ebuyer, we have only had it 5days... its crashed several times on sat night/sunday
    but to get replacement it has to be faulty when they get it back otherwise the send it back to us with a courier bill???

Im disapointed...and its my girlfriends and she just wants replacement.... how do i know its not the slots thats faulty?

also.... is there something I can get that will test the reserved memory for the graphics chip?
    iam 99% certain that its in that 64Mb thats dodgy... as it seems to b when the graphics trys to write to the bad ram that the screen goes funny and freezes.... and that will explain why it can go for hours before crashing as that 64Mb is reserved and hardly used..
    I need something to test OR utilize all the graphics memory whilst on windows

DO YOU THINK... it could be anything to do with 1 stick being 333Mhz and other 266Mhz?
    it did crash with just 1 stick in tho...even worse... the laptop was supposed to have 533/667 mhz ram installed
    and i ordered 533mhz from ebuyer but the stick i got was only 266mhz

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You certainly have a beef with Ebuyer about the difference. They owe you what you ordered. It could be a factor. I believe Vista can be a bit more picky about matched modules from what I've been told.

When you ran the Vista test, did you run the extended tests? Some errors only show up with particular types of tests. Press F1 when the tests start to see the options.

I'm not personally familiar with any testing utilities for actual graphics chip memory.

The "reserved" memory you are referring to is on the installed ram -- so that you've already been testing.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

yeah i know ive tested the shared memory but im sure thats where the errors are...
    thats why i need something that will use that memory in vista so i can see if it crashes...
    its working OK for now and ive got both modules in...
    im trying hardest to get it to crash so i can send it back... but it wont
    see problem ive got is ebuyer recieving it then turning it on then it works then they send it back to us... the need to sit at it for hours/days until it does crash

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If Ebuyer didn't send you what you ordered you can hassle them. If payed by credit card you can file a complaint through them.

Same thing happened to me with another vendor. Sent me Rambus memory from a manufacturer I didn't order and at a speed less than necessary for the system.

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

ACER or ATI [ ASUS ] may have a utility that will test video memory. You might have to contact ACER or ASUS tech support to obtain the diag.

RF123

9. kristjan79

kristjan79

Are you sure it's not a heat issue? I was having similar problems with my ACER 5102 wlmi laptop. I found an article that suggested to clean out the fan enclosure inside the laptop. I pulled mine apart and found it full of dust. I cleaned it out and I don't get the vertical lines anymore.

10. rainforest123

rainforest123

k79:
    Excellent suggestion!

Do you have an article the describes the pulling apart process?

I saw the problem, as described here, on a desktop PC; the GPU fan had stopped working.

RF123

11. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

No its not...it was 2 days old....
    it was dodgy cheap sticks of memory..both the stick that came in it and the ebuyer vakue had errors on it.. however, re-seatin the sticks has seemed to sort the problem...
    it was related to the shared part of the RAM for the graphics being used on the bad sectors..

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

Cool.

Thanks for the links to the free tools.

RF123

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice