1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire 5051: Wireless card not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by amosharper, Sep 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amosharper

amosharper Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have an Acer Aspire laptop that I bought with a 'broken' Vista installation. I formatted the drive and installed Ubuntu Linux. After a little bit of messing around, I got all the hardware playing nice.

However, at one point for a reason I can;t explain, the wireless capability of the laptop seemed to disappear. Ubuntu couldn't detect the card at all. Finding messing around with ndiswrapper et al a little tedious, I bought a copy of Windows XP Home and, formatting the disk once again, installed it.

I'm now facing the same problem I had in XP, but at least with more familiarity with the OS. The wireless card is not listed in the Device Manager at all (screenshot attached).

I appreciate that this machine was probably built with Vista-exclusive hardware, but is there a way I can force my laptop to recognise and utilise my wireless card under XP?

Thanks in advance for your help,

amosharper

Attached Files:

2. RealMode

RealMode

Weird, ethernet card is listed twice. Could be the unknown device ethernet. Get driver from the manufacturer site and install all of them... including the wireless driver !

3. amosharper

amosharper Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, RealMode, I'll try all the suggested drivers from the manufacturer's website.

Hopefully it is misidentifying the device rather than not seeing it at all.

4. RealMode

RealMode

... hope that will solve your problem

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/749489