1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer aspire 5333 won't connect to internet!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cr4zyTrain, Oct 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cr4zyTrain

Cr4zyTrain Thread Starter

So I have a relatively new (only about 3 weeks old) Acer Aspire laptop...now my internet worked all fine and dandy up until about 36 hours ago. For some stupid reason my laptop will not connect to wireless networks, now at first I just thought "boo the wireless is probably ******" but that is not the case because the internet works perfectly fine with other laptops. I've tired my school's wifi, along with my home's and the library's (I'm using a library computer right now).

It keeps saying that my home network is an "unidentified network" and subsequently I cannot connect to the internet. It's very frustrating because I have restored the system and it still won't work.

GAH! HELP PLZNTHNX

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

can we see a device manager and ipconfig /all

try removing all the wireless profiles and reconnect

most laptops have a physical switch OR a combination of FN + one of the F key (often F2) - make sure its switched on

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to remove Wireless Profiles - for Vista and Windows 7
    http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
    - Vista/Windows7:
    http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=214
    - delete the wireless profiles
    Start> control Panel> classic view> network and sharing center> manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
    you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to - so make sure you know the correct password , and not using an incorrect password at all

ipconfig /all
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
    to do that:
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
    all the text will be highlighted
    Next
    From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
    Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

Device Manager
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
    are there any ! ? or X

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

3. Cr4zyTrain

Cr4zyTrain Thread Starter

Deleted my wireless profiles already.

And the ipconfig thing said:

Windows IP Configuration

Host name: ikram-pc
    primary dns suffix
    node type: hybrid
    ip routing enabled: no
    wins proxy enabled: no

wireless lan adapter wireless network connection:
    media state: media disconnected
    connection specific dns suffix:
    description: microsoft virtual wifi miniport adapter
    physical address: f2-df-9a-28-8c-15
    dhco enabled: yes
    autoconfiguration enabled: yes

Wiresless lan adapter wireless network connection 2:
    connection specific dns suffix:
    description: atheros ar5b95 wireless network adapter
    physical address: d0-df-9a-28-8c-15
    dhcp enabled: tes
    autoconfiguration enabled: yes
    link local ipv6 address:fe80::e513:31d5:35e6:a0a9%12 (preferred)
    ipv4 address: 172.24.110.181 (preferred)

4. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

that 172.24.110.181 is a private IP
    routers often use
    192.168.x.x
    OR
    older routers 10.0.x.x
    and
    172.x.x.x
    can be used

so it looks like you have an IP from the wireless signal
    whats the default gateway

can we see the IP address and gateway address from a working device ?

5. WirelessTrouble

WirelessTrouble

I have Accer Model AO532h with the Atheros AR5b95 wireless network adapter.
    "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
    Reset to factory settings, worked, then failed again. Resetted again. Nothing. Updated drivers, bios etc etc.

6. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

if its only 3 weeks old , i would consider calling ACER and if they cannot resolve then they should replace the laptop

7. marthina77

marthina77

sorry about butting in, but i have a similar problem
    a few days ago i moved to dorm, and here there is a wireless connection but it is weak cause it's not intended for us living here. our connection is through a cable..and now the funny thing is..i managed to instal the securew2 (needed for entering via student aai - something) and when i come to the computer room i CAN go on the internet through the wireless connection..but when i plug in the internet cable..it keeps saying that there is no internet access, and it doesn't recognize the host (or whatever its called) now im desperate and please do you have any idea how to help me..:(

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

marthina77, if you truly have a similar problem then the same advice should apply: "if its only 3 weeks old , i would consider calling ACER and if they cannot resolve then they should replace the laptop."

If your problem is different please start your own thread so that we can try to help.

9. marthina77

marthina77

10. WirelessTrouble

WirelessTrouble

So you closed my thread because I had a "duplicate" post. I figured my problem was entirely different. SO, where do I go from here?

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

WirelessTrouble. I believe that etaf just got confused because of your earlier post in this thread. You were correct to start your own thread, and I have re-opened it for you because I am pretty sure that my colleague etaf is "off duty" now. Sorry for the trouble.

12. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

yes my mistake, sorry about any inconvenience caused - thanks Terrynet for sorting out

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020196