1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire 5532 running too slow

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TomGuerrero, Mar 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TomGuerrero

TomGuerrero Thread Starter

Hello, thanks for reading. So I got this laptop as a gift for college a week ago, the first thing I noticed it's that it's pretty old not that powerful, but it was a gift so I'll bear with it. Still, my desktop PC was even older than this laptop and it was nowhere as slow as this laptop is, even more so since the PC is full of stuff and the laptop was (relatively) unused.

The second thing I noticed after booting it after receiving it was that it couldn't connect to WiFi. I did the first thing I though of, plug my PC's ethernet cable to it, download a driver update software and updated everything that it detected obsolete. Turns out the internet driver was outdated and WiFi worked fine afterwards.

Still, I notice the laptop runs very slow. Youtube videos lag a lot (it's not internet related since download speeds are fine) and the browser (Firefox) can't have more than 3 tabs open with the 4th taking ages to load. It can't run very basic games without stuttering and reading pdfs is a nightmare.

I've already ran Malware Antibytes and found nothing, tried defragmenting, running chkdsk, killing consuming processes nad installing TuneUp Utilities (not sure if that even works). At this point I'm open to a factory reset if that will help, much to my dismay I don't think my model can be upgraded.

Here are the specs:
    Acer ASPIRE 5532
    3gb RAM, 1.60 Hz
    AMD Athlon Processor TF20
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
    Running Windows 7

Any help is appreciated.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What are the specs of the desktop?

This is a very slow and old laptop, it's from 2009/2010 and it was a budget laptop when it was released. It has a single core processor running at 1.6Ghz processor and only 3GB of RAM. The integrated graphics processor is also very weak and outdated and unsuitable for all but the oldest basic games. The CPU has an incredibly low Passmark score of 422: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+TF-20

3. TomGuerrero

I don't recall the PC specs really, one of the main reasons I've put up with this laptop is my PC being broken since months.

I was afraid it was just the laptop being bad instead of being a hardware or software problem, and if I can't upgrade guess I'll just bear with it for now.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    It boggles my mind that a laptop with such a wimpy processor and graphics would come with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. o_O

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Even if you were to max it out with 4 GB of DDR2 RAM, improvement in speed and "snappiness" would be very little.

I'm afraid you're stuck with a laptop that's going to have the speed and performance of a turtle. :(

--------------------------------------------------------------

5. TomGuerrero

Welp, them's the breaks, at least I can use it as a glorified USB! Thanks for the advice yall.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You received that laptop used, so it likely still has the "debris" and issues from its previous owner still in it.
    If that's the case, you should consider doing a reinstall and getting a fresh start with it.
    If it has a built-in factory restore partition that's still intact, you're good to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1167630

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice