1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

acer aspire 5552 black screen & not booting up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mum2three, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

My Acer aspire 5552 notebook shut itself down without warning and now it won't boot up. I am getting a blue power light and for a few secs the fan runs then seems to run very slow and I hear the CD drive trying to start but then it stops and I just have a black screen. I've been searching the internet the last few days for a solution but not found one yet . Here's what I have tried .....

* I removed battery and power cord and pressed power button for 30secs.

* I pressed Fn & ESC added power cord then pressed power button. The fan ran faster but still nothing only black screen.

* I've tried updating bios but won't even read the USB stick.

* Tried HDMI cable with TV still nothing.

* tested CMOS battery that's OK.

Are there any other suggestions please or is it unfixable

Many thanks

2. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

Update : For some unknown reason my notebook has just started working again, After updating the bios I left it turned on without the battery in and just the power cord powering it and I went to turn it off as nothing seemed to be happening and lo and behold it rebooted itself :) all fine except I can't get the mouse to move and I'm not wanting to reboot in case it won't come back on.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is it a real mouse or the touchpad that's stopped working ?

4. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

Hi managed thanks for your reply ....its a touchpad.

Further update: I ran spybot to check for spyware etc and rebooted as asked. The notebook rebooted fine but still touchpad wouldn't work. I powered off and tried to boot u again but now back to square one and black screen.

This is so annoying when I thought it was nearly fixed. Surely it can't be much wrong...just don't want get stung with a hefty bill if I take it in for repairs.

Any ideas anyone pease....TIA

5. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

Me again :)

Its decided boot up again and ive managed get my touchpad working by pressing Fn & F7... it had been disabled.

Still looking for help re intermitent black screen pease .... scared to turn it off again in case it won't boot up once more.

TIA

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  7. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

Thank you ..... It turned itself off before I got chance to put it in sleep mode and I can't get it to come back on now.

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    That's too bad. If you haven't already done so try it with just the charger connected and the battery removed.

9. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

Tried without the battery that but no joy....

10. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

Searched everywhere to find a solution has anyone out there reading this had the same problem and did you manage to solve?

I can't understand why it booted up and worked fne until it turned off and wont boot up again.....can't be a major problem surely.

Any advice greatly appreciated
    TIA

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Notebooks get hot.
    The majority of shut downs for no reason are heat related.
    It cools down then it can boot up again, if nothing was damaged.

This laptop is close to four years old. Did you clean it out or blow the vents clear with canned air? Do you use some kind of cooling pad or USB device with fans to help dissipate the heat?

Eventually the overheating causes damage to other components. You might be looking at a fried cpu or motherboard.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You can try removing the Cmos battery, that should reset the Bios to defaults or at least ask you to go into it and check the settings.

I would not try to flash the Bios again, that could brick the laptop if it powers off during the flash.

If still not coming on try another charger if possible. Then you could try a new Cpu. I assume you dismantled the laptop already to test the Cmos battery ? How did you test it ?

13. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

I have not cleaned it out yet and I have not used a cooling pad etc so I did worry that this may be the issue....will check it out later when I open it up and update with my findings.

Many thanks

14. mum2three

mum2three Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on not flashing the Bios again.... I did try but thankfully it did not seem to read the usb as usual and it did not turn off so fingers crossed Ive not bricked it :eek:

I did partly dismantle the laptop to test the Cmos battery...I removed the battery and tested it on my husbands multimeter and it was showing that it had 3V which I read somewhere that was fine. Funny though that when I did remove and reinsert the Cmos battery this is when the notebook decided to boot up. I will check it again later when I open it up and update my findings

Many thanks for your help ... I have lots of stuff on here that I really dont want to lose so fingers crossed I can get it going again or salvage whats on the HD

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If the Cmos battery is the coin type it might be worth fitting a new one, unless the multimeter has a battery test setting it doesn't put much load on the battery and the voltage can look ok but can drop when it's back in the laptop.

You should be able to get stuff off the hard drive by putting it into a Usb caddie or using a Usb cable adapter.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice