1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire 5552 Charging Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bestdarncomputer, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bestdarncomputer

bestdarncomputer Thread Starter

I got back an Acer Aspire from a customer that is having charging issues. There are times the it will charges, others when it will not. The DC plugin seems to be a bit odd with it, hard to plug in unless you plug it in at just the right angle. So I broke into the case thinking that the connection had broken off from the mobo. Turns out this computer like some of the newer laptops don't have their DC jacks connected directly to the Mobo. So there goes my idea. Only thing i can come up with is buying a replacement on ebay for $6.00 and trying that.

Just because I wanted to check all my bases I tested the DC jack power cable at the distal end from the plug (the plug that connects to the mobo), it tested at almost 20v, on my analog millimeter at 19v i'm just going to assume its right, couldn't test the amps though... I found that odd. I couldn't test the power supply cable, the plug it to small for my millimeter to get inside of it for a good reading.

Anyone had this problem? Any ideas? ThinkI'm on the right track with replacing the DC plug?

2. bestdarncomputer

So I took it all apart, put it back together and still getting the same issue, took a DC power cable from another Acer that I had around. Still getting the same problem. PC powers on. The blue light on the power button blinks, as well as the battery light, and the light to the left of it that has the picture of a light bulb above it, are all flashing, once per second, with no pauses, or breaks in the flashing, when it is plugged in. Can unplug and plug the cord back in a few times till it decides to charge, then all likes remain solid and do not blink.

3. bestdarncomputer

I reset the BIOs... Seems to have fixed my problem...

4. bestdarncomputer

Well it worked for awhile. back to the same ol' thing.

5. cscahi01

cscahi01

Hey, have you had any luck with this issue? My friend has the same model of laptop and the exact same problem. I think I have narrowed the issue down to either a bad wire/short in the charger, or an issue with the battery. However, I want to be sure before I start buying parts and it gets expensive.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice