1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire 5570Z won't start after upgrading to Lubuntu 14.xx

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RogerMendes, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RogerMendes

RogerMendes Thread Starter

I recently upgraded my Lubuntu from 13.xx to 14.xx. The upgrade finished showing of some errors, which I don't recall, but the computer kept running. Then I tried to restart it, but it froze in a black screen with a bunch of stuff written (like a loading screen), then I switched it off and tried to restart again, but now it seem like the power button doesn't do anything.... no lights, no sounds, nothing at all.

This acer already had some starting problems previously to this. Sometimes it wouldn't start, but after a couple tries at the power button, and maybe removing the battery, it would turn on properly. But after the upgrade it seems like the power button doesn't exist anymore, it just does nothing.

I already tried removing the batteries, unplugging the cable, plugging the cable back on and holding the power button for a bunch of seconds, but nothing helped. Also tried removing battery, plugging cable off, holding power button for a minute, plugging cable back on and nothing.

I also removed the ram sticks, sort of cleaned them and put them back on, still nothing.

Also my battery was just plain dead, it doesn't recharge anymore. When the computer was running and I removed the power cable then it would shut down immediately. I know it probably shouldn't, but maybe this has something to do with it.

I'm out of ideas, anyone could please light my way and help me get this fixed? I know this seems like a hardware failure, but why after an OS upgrade? What does it have to do with it? This is puzzling me.

2. Sponsor

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Download lubuntu and make a bootable USB stick with it. (Hopefully you have access to another computer to do this on). Run it live from the stick on the ailing Acer and after it loads, click the install lubuntu icon on the desktop and see if it will install correctly.

I'm running lubuntu live 14.04 on my 7" Asus eeepc. I'm not ready to wipe the ssd and install it.

4. RogerMendes

I'm not sure you quite got the problem... my computer is plain dead... it doesn't turn on at all after I upgraded it. Not just it doesn't boot up, it won't turn on.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Yes, you are looking at a hardware problem.
    If the computer won't turn on with the battery and out and connected to an electrical outlet then wither the power adapter is bad or the connection on the motherboard that the power adapter plugs into needs replacing.

6. RogerMendes

At least that's what it seams to be. But why would a hardware problem start bothering a second after an OS upgrade? I also did some research and it seams that the fact of the battery being plain dead might be the issue. I'll try to buy a new one to see if I get this fixed.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Coincidence.
    I installed additional RAM. The computer worked through one reboot after that it didn't. Turns out the power supply decided to die. I thought there was a problem with the RAM. Hope, just dead power supply that coincided closely with the RAM install.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1129249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice