Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer Aspire 5733Z Win 7 Ultimate random shutdown

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DavisMcCarn 
#1 ·
What can be causing the random shutdown?

#2 ·
What's the exact SNID number and serial number on your Acer Aspire 5733Z laptop?

From what I can determine, that model laptop originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
How long has it been running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit?

The main reason why a laptop will shut down without warning is because of overheating.
We're not there though to see it, so the shut down issue may be hardware related or software related or both.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#4 ·
Thank you. I do believe the problem is heat. I have an A\C in my room, but usually only run the fan. I noticed when the temp is 80 or above degrees, I have the shutdown problem. Air on, temp in mid 70's, no problem. I have ordered a fan that sits beneath the unit.

Yes, the computer came with Win 7 Pro. I gave in to the taunting by Microsoft to install Win 10. I do not like it. One day automatic update did its thing, and I could not boot again. A black screen with a periodic flash saying auto-config, please wait. I wiped the drive and installed a fresh Win 7 Ultimate. Back to good. I am old fashioned starting on computers in the late 70's. Before there were any windows. Loved that Lotus 123 in dos.

Anyway, Acer Aspire 5733Z - 4469 snid: 14405802716
s/n: LXRJ W0 20591440E2AB1608
Again thank you.

#5 ·
Here is the support page for your laptop:
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/3680?b=1&pn=LX.RJW02.059
You need to get a can of blow-off and blow the dust out of the laptop.
With it turned off (!!!), on the left side, you will find the exhaust vents for the cooling fan. You want to blow in through those vents which will blow the dust out of the fan intake which is probably on the bottom. Be thorough and do the entire length of the exhaust area and you will hear the fan spin. Afterwards, you may want to inspect the fan intake on the bottom to see if there is still more dust left inside.
Some people think you can hurt the fan by doing this; but, it has never happened to me in 41 years of fixing these things and I have seen a laptop run 45 degrees centigrade cooler afterwards (that's 81 degrees Fahrenheit )!
If you download the Quick Start Guide from that link above, the vents are shown on page 7.

#6 ·
Yes, the computer came with Win 7 Pro. I gave in to the taunting by Microsoft to install Win 10. I do not like it. One day automatic update did its thing, and I could not boot again. A black screen with a periodic flash saying auto-config, please wait. I wiped the drive and installed a fresh Win 7 Ultimate. Back to good.
Acer Aspire 5733Z - 4469
snid: 14405802716
s/n: LXRJ W0 20591440E2AB1608
You have an Acer Aspire 5733Z (AS5733Z-P623G32Mikk) 15.6" laptop which originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit and came with these specs:
Intel Pentium P6200 2.13 GHz dual core processor
3 GB of DDR3-1066 RAM (supports up to 8 GB)
320 GB SATA hard drive
DVD+/-RW disc drive
Intel HD graphics
Realtek high definition audio
Atheros or Broadcom or Intel or Realtek 802.11b/g/n wireless
Broadcom 10/100 Mbps ethernet
I do believe the problem is heat. I have an A\C in my room, but usually only run the fan. I noticed when the temp is 80 or above degrees, I have the shutdown problem. Air on, temp in mid 70's, no problem. I have ordered a fan that sits beneath the unit.
Besides what DavisMcCarn advised you to do, you might consider installing 4 stick-on pegs on the bottom of the case so it has more clearance between it and what it sits on.

--------------------------------------------------------------

#7 ·
I sometimes stick rubber feet on the back two corners of a laptop to raise it about 1/4 inch and that can help, too; but, blowing the dust out of a laptop needs to be done about once each year. Its also critical that the laptop NOT be on a soft surface. Pillows, blankets on a bed, or even setting it on your knee can block the intake which is on the bottom of the laptop and that means no cooling can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.