1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer aspire 5733z won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by loreeml, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. loreeml

loreeml Thread Starter

Ok, so my just over a year old laptop fell off of my bed today. When trying to turn on the black acer screen comes up and a few seconds later it restarts. I have tried f 8, just beeps, f 12 still nothing but beeping, alt 10 same. I have tried removing the harddrive and starting it, still nothing. I then tried removing the ram one at a time, still nothing. Could the mother board off went bad? Any ideas? Thanks

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

Dear loreem1 OR L:
    Hello & welcome to Tech Guy Forum.

YUP! The motherboard could be cracked, the HDD could be loose.

Check the user guides here.
    https://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=3680

Would you consider yourself a beginning, intermediate or advanced notebook hardware person?

What's the floor's surface, padded or rock hard?

Try booting with the battery removed and any peripherals dis connected [ power only connected ]

RF123

3. loreeml

loreeml Thread Starter

I am a beginner, but not afraid to take it apart! It fell onto a hardwood floor. I already tried with the battery pack removed, but it just did the same thing. What is the HDD? How would I check that? Thanks for the reply!

4. rainforest123

rainforest123

l :
    Sorry.
    HDD = hard disk drive
    I promise to provide explanations in the future for you.

With the battery removed & the laptop unplugged, turn the computer over.
    Place it on a white sheet, on a flat surface.
    Use a small headed screw driver, phillips [ 2 slots at right angles ] to loose the cover to the HDD.
    Before you touch it, touch someone to discharge the static electricity that you have accumulated
    [ aka using electrostatic precautions ].
    Gently giggle the HDD

NEVER MIND. I just read that you have removed the HDD.
    Slave it to another computer. Can you access the files?
    You will need an adapter that will connect your HDD [ presumabley using SATA connection ] to a USB, which you would plug into a 2nd computer, for example the one you are using for this thread.

https://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?modelId=3680

Please describe the beeps; for example: "1 short & 2 long".
    search the internet for beep codes
    Acer might use a set from a BIOS manufacturer, or Acer may have their own beep codes.

RF123

5. loreeml

loreeml Thread Starter

Question if this even makes sense. I also have an older acer aspire one netbook which stopped working after my husband drop a can of shaving cream on the keyboard. So my question is, today I tried swapping the harddrives. When I put the older netbook harddrive into the acer laptop I got the same error message that I had on the netbook. Also when I put the laptop harddrive into the netbook I had the the error message that the laptop had. I hope you are following me,lol.. Could that mean that it just both of the hard drives that went bad?

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

This indicates, with > 95% certainty, that the problem is with a component, probably the motherboard.

YUP!
    Replace the motherboard. From my limited experience, this procedure costs more than a replacement with the same features.
    If the HDD on the damaged computer has important data, slave it to another computer, for example the computer you are using for this forum thread.
    The HDD in the damaged computer probably has SATA connection. Buy an adapter that has SATA on 1 end WITH POWER, and USB on the other end.

I am unable to recommend any products because I don't know what's available in your area, nor do I have any relations with online vendors.

RF123

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088210

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice