Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer Aspire 6930G Graphics Errors... I guess

916 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Demitari 
#1 ·
Hi, (first post in any forum so far)

I got this notebook (Acer Aspire 6930G - the version with the dvd-drive) for around 7 years now and I am happy that I chose to buy it.
For about a year ago it started shutting down, when putting it under some workingload (games). I found out pretty quickly that the reason was due to heat. So I simply opened it (since the warranty already expired) and cleaned it up and the problem was solved.
A few weeks later however the problem started again. To my surprise however it seemed to shut down without any reason. The only connection I was able to detect was the fact that it only happens while playing games.
But I did not care about my laptop anymore, because I saved up enouth money to build myself a desktop.
Long story short. I need it again to play some games :)
The Laptops hardware is pretty much the same. I only added a SSD in the second HDD-slot and installed Windows 10 on it.
Now what I actually want to ask:
I am pretty sure, that this problem is caused by my nVidia Geforce 9600m GT.
These are the points that make me think of this:
- the PC does not really "shut down" more like freeze with a blackscreen on (and the only way to exit that state is to hold down the power-button :x)
- while doing so the sound (ingame music etc.) does not stop
- also all LED still work
- ONCE it was not just black but was showing a pretty glichty screen (a lot of red/green pixels with the frame it showed before still seeable)
- also before this "shut down" errors occured I also had image errors, while doing anything on the notebook (at that point I also thought that the problem was within the monitor)

And here I am looking around Ebay for a new card and also found some, but I became sceptical again...
Is it really due the the graphics card???
After giving it a little thought, I tried to force the error by using a GPU Benchmark. (Furmark to be exact)
So I put the GPU for 30 minutes under 100% load and watched the values... but without any result.
The temperature did not rise above 82°C (When it was overheating it went up to 120°C...).
And my connection between the games and the "shut downs" was my believe that the games put my graphics card under too much load and cause a crash or so.
I know that you can not really compare a benchmark to an actual ingame experience, but it made me worrying again and I do not want to waste money on a new card if it is not even the problem here.
I have the newest drivers installed and all necessary ones from Driverscape (http://www.driverscape.com/manufacturers/acer/laptops-desktops/aspire-6930g/120).

Is there anything that comes to your minds, that I can test as well, before buying a new card? Or do I already have a faulty reasoning from the start?
I appreciate all your help!

PS: I would provide any information that you need about my system if you need it for consideration.
PS2: I do not know if it helps but the error occures the most while playing league of legends. Most of the times while starting the round or when entering a teamfight (maybe an memory issue? :x)

See less See more
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.