1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

acer aspire bios problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mtec, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtec

mtec Thread Starter

right i have been given a acer aspire 5050 laptop the idiot i got it from knows nothing about computers he forgot his bios password and after checking on google found a program called cmos cleaner you guessed it he wiped the bios now the laptop wont boot. he thinks its no good so said i could have it for free for spares. i contacted the acer repair centre and gave them all the details for the laptop model no, all serials ect they checked the laptop out they know its ok and not stolen but the want £71 inc couries charges to repair it it seems alot is there any way i could flash the bios or is it just an acer job any help would be greatfully recieved as i dont think the laptop is really worth the charges thanks for looking:eek:

ps im not at home at the min but could get all the specs from the laptop if needed

2. norton850

norton850

What exactly do you mean by BIOS was wiped? When you turn it on what comes up on the screen?

3. mtec

mtec Thread Starter

the program as far as i know removes the bios this lad kows nothing about pcs so he used it nothing comes up on screen when you turn it on the power light comes on but nothing at all on the screen its just black m8 this is what he used http://www.pccmos.com/
    any help would be greatfully recieved

4. mtec

mtec Thread Starter

i suppose i am going to struggle to get any help on this issue due to the fact that many laptops are stolen, and people might think that this one too is stolen but it isnt.there must be times that this problem arrises that there is a genuine problem for genuine people. looks like im going to have to send this to acer to be repaired all i was trying to do was save some money. thanks to the people who read this post and to norton850 who took the time to reply
    cheers mtec

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The BIOS chip and software is built into the motherboard and is completely independent of the Windows operating system.

If the BIOS software has been wiped out or corrupted, the laptop will need to go to the manufacturer so that the BIOS chip and software can be replaced.

------------------------------------------------------------------

6. mtec

mtec Thread Starter

right after reading a lot of differant threads on the net i decided to give it one more go with this laptop i ran the crisis disk part and after several atempts it never worked so i again checked the net i found a post that told me to removedthe laptops battery both sticks of memory and the cmos battery and leave for 30 mins then replace them all and turn on bugger me it worked and the laptop sprang into life i was amazed it wouldnt start properly as it said i system file was missing so i decided to install windows xp even tho the machine was vista after about 10 mins it kept switching its self on and off i made sure the battery was charged checked to make sure every thing was connected properly and as far as i can see it was .i left it alnoen till the following day then i retried to install xp i did try for about 20 mins then once again it turned it self off again i have managed to install xp this time but when it got right to the end where it reboots itself i now have the black screen and wont boot up anyone got any ideas what could be wrong
    thanks for looking

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice