1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire blank screen HELP!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by IamCary, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IamCary

IamCary Thread Starter

Hi All,

Acer 5570Z. Vista Home Premium. I was doing a Restore last night and I think there was a brief power outage (battery removed, waiting on new one) as the Restore never finished. After three hours I turned the thing off figuring it would go to Recovery in the morning. Not so.

I get the Acer sign on screen.
    I can hold F2 and go into setup.
    I get the "Microsoft Corporation" start up progress bar, then a blank screen.
    I get a mouse cursor that works and the blank screen powers off after 20 minutes as planned in Power Management.
    Holding F8 for Safe Mode during start up does not work.

I cannot see the laptop on the network, but Vista does not allow that until someone is logged in. I have tried blind-typing in the password but that does nothing. No disk activity so I am not sure where it is at in the boot process.

I have the instructions for the factory recovery from the PQService partition and the question is, if I use that, will it remove all of the stuff on the computer or will it just refresh Vista?

The laptop appears to be running. When I press the off switch, it does a lot of disk activity for about 40 seconds and then shuts down.

My first guess is a video driver issue, although the mouse is visible and works fine and looks to be at the correct resolution.

I do not want to do the big-axe (PQService) approach yet, as I have not backed up in two days. Yeah, I know, I know, I deserve this. :D:D I have a full image from about a week back and a Boot USB, but again, I want to exhaust the soft approach to recovery.

Any help gratefully received.

Cary

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you not have a Vista disc.....??

and yes it will usually install a fresh copy of Vista and wipe everything.

Can take out HDD put it in an Enclosure and connect to another PC to get data off.

3. IamCary

IamCary Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply.

Nope, no CD. A lot of Acer models never came with a recovery CD. They have a hidden partition named PQSERVICE and that contains the Vista Recovery. You hold down Alt-F10 and it will boot to the hidden partition. I have never used it, so I do not know how it works and I don't want to try until I know exactly what it does.

I have a USB enclosure for the 2-1/2" SATA II drive so I can get the data off OK, but I want to exhaust all of the recovery options first.

Cary

4. Megabite

Megabite

5. IamCary

IamCary Thread Starter

Hi Megabite,

I appreciate you trying to help, but it is not accessing the files that is the problem. I have several PCs here and one even running Ubuntu. I want to know if running the PQService recovery will overwrite everything or just refresh Vista. Getting the files off is easy, but it is not the same as getting Vista back working.

I have two very important emails from yesterday that will be almost impossible to recover even with the sucking the files off using another computer. It will take me many many hours restructuring the email client to read the recovered files and that's why trying to restore Vista to it's former glory is the preferred option at this point.

The PQService partition is only about 4G so it may just refresh Vista and leave the files alone. I have not been able to find any online results of using PQService, just a loooot of how to use it.

Cary

6. Megabite

Megabite

In my experience the PQService will put a fresh copy of Vista on and wipe everything else

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/923940

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice