1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DesertDawg, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Thread Starter

My Acer Aspire one has Windows 7, is around 4 years old. It does not have a cd drive, and Windows is being prevented from starting..........even in safe mode or "last good configuration" mode on the Advanced Boot Options screen. These choices all end up (after loading windows files completes) at the Windows Error Recovery screen that says "windows failed to start". This is followed by a long pause of black screen, followed by the infamous blue screen with the tiny bird and the green branch over on the right side. It freezes on that screen and stays. At that point, Cntl/Alt/Del won't even work, and the only way to shut down and try restarting is to manually shut it down.
    I even bought the repair cds from Acer, along with a remote player, but since the Acer freezes where it does, I can't even load the cd software, so that "fix" cannot be tried either.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Welcome to Tech Support Guy
    you should be able to boot from the recovery disc
    This is the procedure - you need to enter the BIOS
    and make the USB CD device the first boot device
    In order to recover the system using Acer Recovery Media please perform the following:

-Press F2 to enter BIOS Setup during Power-On Self-Test (POST while the Acer logo is being displayed).
    -Arrow over to "Boot".
    -Refer to on screen instructions to set the first device to "CDROM".
    -Press the CD-ROM drive eject button and insert the System CD.
    -Close the CD-ROM tray.
    -Press "F10", then press "Enter" to save the changes and reboot the system.
    -The computer will boot from the Acer Recovery Media, follow the prompts to reinstall the operating system.

3. DesertDawg

I did as you said, but I still end up freezing on the same blue screen. I have the boot screen set as follows:
    1. USB CDROM : HL -DT-STDVDRAM GP40NB40
    2. Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent
    3. IDEO : Hitachi HTS545025B9A300
    4,5,&6 are blank.
    Note: this computer does not have a cd drive, so I can only plug in the remote drive and let it start. The light on the remote does not stay lit very long after I close the tray, and after a few minutes of blank screen the blue screen with the small bird and tree branch appears. This screen remains unless I manually reboot.

4. Macboatmaster

Well it is no use having it set network boot before the Hitachi
    not that it will solve the problem of it not booting from the CD, but you need to set boot priority as the CD and then the Hard drive
    see what happens then
    ON the advanced boot options screen do you have repair your computer and on there if you can access it rather than the LKG or Safe Mode try the startup repair and if that does not work see if you can get a cmd prompt

Come back when you have tried that

So to help you - you are looking for this screen on the F8 key but the option not of LKG ir Safe Mode but the Repair your computer and then the Startup repair - try that and then the system restore - to an earlier point in time - and if that fails the cmd prompt
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/668-system-recovery-options.html

5. DesertDawg

Yes, I do have the Repair your computer choice. After selecting this option my screen went black, then after several minutes went to the blue screen again. I never do get to the System recovery options window.

6. Macboatmaster

Have you changed the boot priority order in the BIOS please

Also please try shutting down, disconnect the USB CD drive

Remove the battery

Disconnect the power lead

Hold down the power button for a full ten seconds

Reconnect POWER only, not the battery and try again please on the F8 key repair your computer

DO NOT please connect the external optical drive

7. DesertDawg

Hi again. Thank you for all of your assistance. I have been following your instructions, but without success. In my Setup Utility screen I have the USB CDROM in position 1, but there are no details after the :
    In position 2 I have IDEO : Hitachi HTS545025B9A300, and in position 3 I have Network Boot : Atheros Boot Agent. Positions 4, 5, and 6 also do not have any details after the :
    When I tried loading the CD software from the portable DVD writer, nothing happens. Does this mean I am not getting the download because nothing is being listed after the : ?

8. Lance1

Lance1

Have to tried to access the Acer recovery partition? If you do not want to save any date you can do this.

1. Power up the computer
    2. At the ACER BIOS screen, hold the Alt key and press the F10 key repeatedly to start the Acer Recovery.
    3. Once the Recovery has loaded, click Restore to Factory Default Settings
    4. Click OK to continue.
    5. From here, the Recovery process will update all the data on drive C:\ and restore a fully functional factory image (It'll take about 10 minutes).
    6. Once the Recovery is done, press OK to reboot unit

Note: All data will be lost during this process and your computer will be brought back to it's original factory state and settings.

9. Macboatmaster

I agree with what my colleague has said
    If you wish to try first securing your data and I cannot guarantee it will work see if you can get a boot from puppy
    It runs in ram and is in some respect far more tolerant than windows in respect of drivers

http://forums.techguy.org/8478763-post6.html

re the BurnCDCC
    One person recently thought that meant that he had to run WinZip - unzip and to my horror, bought the program -WinZip
    You do NOT need any unzip it is a self extracting exe file.

CHECK IN BIOS if there is a setting - enable legacy USB if so set it enabled - although before the BIOS saw the USB CD device did it not
    Personally I suspect it is nothing to do, with that.

10. Lance1

Lance1

Sorry! I completely forgot about Puppy Linux, as I use Ubuntu. Thanks Macboatmaster.

11. DesertDawg

I have done as you said. The screen went to Acer eRecovery Management (green on left 1/3 of screen, white on the right side). I am getting the Please wait a moment notation, along with a spinning clue circle. This has been on the screen for about an hour. I will leave it on for a few more hours, then update you.
    Regards.

12. DesertDawg

It's been stuck in this mode for 5 hours now. What next?

13. Macboatmaster

I would advise you to do as I said in post 9

It has the added advantage that if it does boot to Puppy and mounts the hard drive, in additio to recovering your personal data, it is a reasonable check of the hardware AND we may well glean some more information as to why you have the problem

It may indeed, in respect of the external DVD drive be a power issue.
    I see that Acer recommend DVD drives with TWO USB leads one supplies power from one usb socket and the other connects the data.
    Does your drive have the two leads
    I also see that on that Acer there are I think three usb ports, for some reason people report it works in one but not in another
    I would have thought that on a laptop.notebook all three would be direct from board, rather than from a header like the front usb ports on a desktop

Whatever the situation I would try Puppy if necessary from a flash drive

14. DesertDawg

Parson my ignorance. Marine Engineering was my forte. What is Puppy, and where do I access it?
    Thank you

15. Macboatmaster

Is that an intended Parson for pardon
    http://www.parsunmarine.com/

actually spelt parsun but frequently spelt wrongly
    helped a friend fit a new Parson 15HP outboard to his boat and it seems to be a copy of a Yamaha, it might be that it is new and tight but I ...

The parson outboard was light enough to tilt and steer effortlessly. Like most of us, I cut my boating teeth in tinnies with little outboards. I've run a 3hp Johnson,

never really caught on here in the UK - very popular I believe in other countries

Licensed commercial skipper
    MCSA Boatmaster

Anyway back to the job in hand# :):):):)

What do you mean what is puppy I sent you all the details as I said see post 9
    The link is there with all the details you need
    and as I said on post 13
    Plus which if you do get into Puppy as above - there is a chance we may obtain some more information as to why you have the problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice