1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire case F-Panel wont fit new Gigabyte

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Oct 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

well... its all a learning curve... installing new PC into old Acer Aspire T140 case and got it all done but the front panel connectors are not singular or pairs but as so..

PWR BTN - 2 wires going into a block of six with one pin blocked out on corner
    HDD/PWR LED - 4 wires going into a block of 6

obviously Acer designed the case to only be used with their motherboards...

can anyone confirm that there are no "converters" or such and the only solution is to buy a new case?

thanks

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I believe that you are correct about there not being any converter products that will allow case "A" to be used with motherboard "B". If you are handy with a soldering iron, you could probably purchase suitable gold plated male and female header connectors and wire up your own adapter.

3. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

new case it is then! :)

just out of interest - where can u buy these 'header connectors'..? are these the plastic ends that plug into the pins?

thanks

4. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

You can remove the wires from the connector blocks and fit them back into the right holes that correspond the the motherboard header pins. On the plastic block are small plastic tabs, using a small jeweler's screwdriver gently prize a tab up enough so that the wire can be withdrawn, do the same for all that need removing and refit as you go.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

You don't need a new chassis. All you have to do is trace the PLED, HDD LED and POWER SW leads, get three 1x2 kk connectors (about 50 cents) and change the connectors (plugs) the pins are crimped to the wire and removable from the shell, they are not soldered in. In your application it would take 15-20 minutes to make the change.

Most motherboards today use a 2x5 front panel header with pin #10 missing. Pins 1 & 3 are HDD-LED, pins 5 & 7 are RESET SW, Pins 2 & 4 are PLED, and Pins 6 & 8 are POWER SW and pin #9 is not used.

Most chassis have four 1x2 connectors for the HDD-LED, RESET SW, PLED, and POWER SW. When I build a new machine I use a 2x5 connector shell and put a block in in the shell for pin #10. By re-pinning the four front panel functions (Power Switch, Reset Switch, Power LED, and Hard Drive LED I only have one connector to work with rather than four. With shell hole #10 blocked the connector cannot be plugged in backwards.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

mmm i didnt know that thanks - where can i get these KK conectors from (UK)

the Gigabyte motherboard is as you say BUT there are 3 above it and the text says PWR LED? i will hve to look at the manual again, but regardless if i could get some of these new blocks/connectors then that would be better

coming from where the power button is are two white cables going into the block of 6(5) and the HD and PWR LEDs are red/black/orange/green going into a block of 6

edit: looked everywhere for KK CONNECTORS and i cant find ANY?? :(

7. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

pop down to your local council tip, there's usually some old PC cases there, a great source for silly little bits like connector blocks. ;)
    Failing that, get your wallet out and go to Maplins or your local independent PC shop, they may have some, even for free :)

8. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

been lukin on maplins but failed to see any>?

go idea about the tip tho ;)

i dont think my local PC World or local supplier would have any - ive never seen any for sale anywhere

9. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

re Maplins and PCWorld (spit)
    dont look on the shelves , ask. remember little things like this are easy to pinch, PCWorld are a complete waste of time for items like this.
    Your local PC shop should be able to help you out

Any time you come along a PC case being scrapped, grab what bits you can, screws, stand-offs, brackets, drive rails, connectors, blanking plates, I/O shields etc.. a free way to build up your 'small parts' bin

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  11. win2kpro

win2kpro

Here's a USB kk connector that would work. This is a standard 2x5 connector. With a pair of side cutters or scissors and an exacto knife to trim the edges you could get three 1x2 connectors out of this 2x5 conector.

Asus at one time (I don't know if they still do) used a 1x3 connector for the Power LED so some chassis manufacturers shipped their chassis with a 1x3 Power LED connector. I've made plenty of 1x2 connectors out of 1x3 connectors that came with some chassis for the Power LED.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1729

12. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

i think in this case (case haha) its gunna be a new case - but ive learned a lot from this thread so thanks to everyone for he advice on KK connectors etc

thanks to jack-hackett for this bit of advice

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice