1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire E4600 Desktop Frozen At Acer Boot Screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WWEFreak666, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WWEFreak666

WWEFreak666 Thread Starter

I restarted my computer like normal and for whatever reason the computer is now stuck at the Acer boot screen. I try to press DEL to enter Setup and I even tried pressing F12 to go into the Boot Setup, but for whatever reason the computer does not respond to anything.

To shut it off I have to hold down the power button and eventually it shuts off.

Stuff to know:
    - I have a wireless mouse and keyboard being used on that desktop.. Should I perhaps try to plug in a corded mouse and keyboard?
    - I'm running on Windows 7 Ultimate.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    that may help fault finding if you have them available

As the PC starts to boot TAP F8 - you should get a menu
    choose safe mode
    see if that boots up

Do you have the recovery CDs or windows CD

3. WWEFreak666

I just recently re-installed Windows 7 on the computer, because I wanted to clear it so my parents could use it. I tried everything with the wireless keyboard and mouse.. At one point while I still had both the wireless keyboard and mouse, the computer booted up normally, going as far as the "Starting Windows" logo and then after that finishes, the screen goes black and nothing happens.

When I plugged in my wired mouse and keyboard, I had a little more success. The mouse was turning on at all tries. At first the keyboard did not turn on, but on the second try the keyboard turned on and I was successfully able to access the Boot Setup menu, so I tried to boot from the hard drive and it did exactly the same thing with the "Starting Windows" logo. Since I can now access the Boot Setup menu, I think I may try to re-install Windows.

I also tried Startup Repair and it finished, but when it came to restarting the computer, the countdown timer went to zero and the window went away and it just left the Windows 7 background and my computer ended up not restarting.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. WWEFreak666

Hmm, it seems more like a hardware issue. I unplugged everything to open up the computer and see if anything was loose like RAM. Since I opened up the computer, now I cannot get anything to pop up on the screen. I'm more than sure that everything is plugged in correctly, after all I only need the computer power ON and the monitor turned ON with monitor cable plugged into the computer and the monitor itself, nothing else is needed. Even when it comes to plugging in my mouse and keyboard.. When the computer starts up, the mouse works at times and the keyboard never seems to work anymore. Whenever the mouse works, sometimes the mouse's red light stays on even when the computer is shut off... I've never seen it do that before.

I only have a regular windows 7 disc. I was never given a recovery disc, nor did I create one.. The computer originally came with Windows Vista Home Premium and for the past like 7 or so months I was running Windows 7 on it and it ran perfectly.. Then I decided to re-install Windows 7 on it. I simply cleared everything that was on it before.

Not sure what's wrong, as nothing seems loose. Seems like theirs a failure somewhere. The monitor continuously says "No Signal"... It turns black and the power light turns to red (meaning it's inactive). I've re-enforced the monitor cable on both ends.

Edit:
    My father was the person who restarted the computer before all of this occurred.
    He claims that he went to "Shut Down" the computer. With the computer turned off, he decided to manually turn on the computer.

So the computer turned on and then it apparently according to him when into CHKDSK and it ran successfully saying all files were okay, but the computer got stuck and never rebooted after the process and now when it boots up, it does nothing.. It's so bad at this point that nothing will go through a monitor. I've tried two monitors.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/900318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice