Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer Aspire Laptop goes to mute automatically

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  Scorpion1 
#1 ·
My Acer goes to mute by itself. It only started a few days ago No updates during that time. I've done all the basic stuff; "Sound" setting show nothing wrong. Uninstalled drive and let system reinstall. If I hold the volume up, the speakers are clear and working. When I let it go, straight down to mute again. Mobility slidebar will not adjust up. FN F8 does nothing. Pls don't suggest any "basic" checks, as I've done them all! Did clean boot. No change. Did recovery. No change. Everything else works fine, EXCEPT goes to mute. Tried mike on, and mike off. No change.
Any advanced suggestions?

#3 ·
It is an Aspire R11, bought new in 2015, Win10. The driver/audio software has been updated, with no change. All updates show up-to-date. Nothing muted that I can see or find. Been thru all the basics. Have tried tons of suggestions with no luck. No sound from on board speakers, external speaker, or plug-in headset, unless I tap on the volume up key. Then I can hear it clearly, and all the way up to 100%. Stop tapping, and down to mute it goes.

#4 ·
#5 ·
It came with Win 10 installed. I've done ALL the basics, including installing an older version of the Audio Manager, as some suggested it worked well then, but not so much since updates. No change. So, I have changed the Manager, the driver, the program etc... The "sound" (speaker icon) does nothing to change it. Volume goes straight to zero. All I see on the INet, from techs, is to go into "sound", or device manager, and do this or that. Done it all. No change. Some have suggested using the "audio troubleshooter, under "security" in settings. The thing is, no audio troubleshooter option is present there. Win says I'm completely up to date on ALL drivers. I can't figure this one out. As I mentioned, if I hold the up volume key, it plays, and on my headsets as well. Let it go, and down to zero again. I basically have no audio troubleshooter that will pinpoint the problem.

#7 ·
That was also suggested and tried (ex. sound card). No change. System is muted. No offense, but doesn't seem I can get help here for this problem. I need a troubleshooting tool that will actually check out and find the problem, but the ones I have tried do not do that. The normal "troubleshooters" say everything is working fine.

#10 ·
Also suggested and tried. Uninstalled Audio Manager, still goes to mute. Re-installed a newer AM and same problem. Something in the system is telling it to go to mute, but I can't find it. The speakers work fine. There has got to be something stuck in mute, or a setting wrong somewhere, but, as far as I can tell, it is not coming from "sound, or the sound card. There are no errors msgs, no yellows, etc...Everything says fine, except it isn't/

#12 ·
I am WAY past the basic stuff. One of the FIRST things I checked was to make sure NO keys were stuck. Even took the keyboard off to make sure. Ok. Background of what I've tried; ALL updates are done, uninstalled (re-installed) drivers, uninstalled HD Audio Manager (reinstalled), Uninstalled ANYTHING dealing with sound, deleted all bluetooth devices, and shut it off, deleted headsets and ext. speakers, ran about 10 different t/s'ers, NONE of which pinpointed any problem, except saying to raise volume on "volume mixer", which will NOT raise. Checked to see if ANY program, device, etc....was in mute, NO change for any of this. Still goes straight to zero (mute). FN F8 does nothing. Continually pressing the volume up keys makes the speakers work. When I stop, straight down to zero! Maybe the sound card is going bad, but the "audio t/s'er" does not go there. I think I need a program that will do an actual hard check of the sound card, but W10 audio t/s'ing does NOT do that.

#13 ·
I know this sort of issue can be frustrating but until you specifically said what you have tried we had no idea what you had and had not done.

All I can suggest is you backup you data and re-install Windows 10 since you insist you have done all the 'basic' stuff.

#14 ·
I just re-installed Win10 yesterday. No change. Still goes to mute. And "frustrating" only mildly covers what I am feeling. Can't watch anything, or do anything, that involves sound, unless I sit here and continually tap the volume up button til my finger wears out (exactly what I did all day yesterday!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.