1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire Laptop Won't Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Smoothie, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smoothie

Smoothie Thread Starter

Hello folks,

My sister's Acer Aspire 3002LMI has recently ceased to power on whatsoever. Bought in '05 and run mostly from the mains, it suddenly acted as though it was running out of battery - despite being plugged into the mains - and went into hibernation.

By the time she showed it to me, pressing the power button would just make the battery charge LED flash 8 times - nothing else. Now, a few days later, absolutely nothing happens when I press the power button.

The problem occurs regardless of whether the battery is in the laptop. She never used the laptop without the battery in - as it formed part of the base - so whether it ever worked without the battery is not certain. I've also tried using another power cable, to no avail.

So, any ideas what the cause of this problem could be? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
    Rob

2. bonk

bonk Banned

When you tried another power adapter was it for that model of PC.........as what you describe sounds like a powersupply problem or maybe the jack into the back of the PC

3. Smoothie

Smoothie Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply bonk. Unfortunately, I have tried another power adaptor, which made no difference.

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Try again and try wiggling the jack plug at the back.........make sure also that it is the correct voltage for that PC.

5. Smoothie

Smoothie Thread Starter

Done and done. Still not making the charging LED come on whatsoever, unfortunately.

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Well it could be the connectivity of the power plug to the main board sometimes they get knocked and break the connection to the board...but the only way would be to take it apart and check...........also using a multimeter on the power supply to to sure the correct voltage is coming out of the power supply.......you could also try a charged battery that fit that model and see.

7. flo77is

flo77is

I had similar problem with my Acer Aspire 3690

First I thought it was a problem with RAM, processor or even motherboard.

But, I found a solution and it was none of above causing the problem.

The problem was with small plastic thing that is pushed in when you close notebook.

In fact it was stuck, and always when I pressed power button only HDD led was flashing for a moment and fan started to work for few seconds, after that it stopped and there was nothing on the screen.

Now, I am really lucky that it was only that small plastic thing causing the problem.
    Hope in your case is same problem. Otherwise you should be thinking about repairing a part of your notebook that could cause the problem.

Regards,
    flo77is

8. flo77is

flo77is

Also, a faulty LAN could be a reason for not booting.
    You could try pressing shortly on power on button few times rapidly, during that light on LAN will blink. After that normally press on power button and laptop should start, but the problem isn't solved.
    If you don't fix LAN it may cause some other troubles, ex. mouse will stop responding.
    I think that same could happen with any faulty device like PCI flash memory, PCMCIA slot, USB, etc.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/606474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice