1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer aspire one d250 semi-brick - help :-s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Miskatonic, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Miskatonic

Miskatonic Thread Starter

Hi folks, for some reason my aa1 has decided to go into psuedo brick mode... Was watching a video on youtube last night and got a message popping up saying "CRITICAL DISK ERROR - WINDOWS CANNOT READ FROM HARD DISK - RESTART COMPUTER"... It 'looked' perfectly official and I did think straight away of running malwarebytes but my 'start' menu was only showing a fraction of the programs installed and I couldn't get an explorer window open to select it...

So, anyhoo, I thought maybe xp had just had a flip out as the laptop HAD been on for some days lol - however, on restart all I got was a flash of the acer splash screen then a blinking cursor in the top left and a black screen. Any key presses result in a loud BEEEEEP from the computer. No dice. I've checked the HD in a caddy on another pc and there's nothing wrong with it - despite being somewhat riddled with viruses :-s (which I've hopefully now gotten rid of)

Was able to run AVG from USB stick and that was able to see/scan the drive on the netbook, too. It's reading clear now but the problem remains of being unable to get beyond that blinking cursor and onto the windows splash.

It's probably worth noting, also, that since this problem arose I've flashed the netbook with the latest bios (this was all that was required last time it had one of it's 'moments') but this time all I've gotten from that is a slightly different acer splash - it hasn't made any difference to the computers ability to progress beyond startup.

The inbuilt recovery functions of the AA1 don't work, either, when I hold the appropriate keys all I get is lockup accompanied by the top cm or so of the screen getting some random raster lines or suchlike appearing across it.

Hoping someone out there can help me get to the bottom of this - it seems I need to rebuild something in the windows boot, but my expertise has been pretty much exhausted now so any helpful suggestions will be much appreciated !

Thanks in advance :)

2. Miskatonic

No one can suggest anything yet ? :-(

3. norton850

norton850

I'm sure you've already made sure that BIOS is set to boot from HD after the BIOS flash?
    Are you able to get into the recovery console?

4. Miskatonic

Yeah I've done that, hasn't made any difference still a black screen with a blinking cursor :-s

The netbook is xp, btw. Not able to get into the recovery console, as I explained in the initial post holding the keys to do so either results in epic beeping and lockdown or a mashed up line of colour appearing on the top 1cm of the screen and nothing more :-s

Any ideas ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990397