1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire OneMedia Player - no picture

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by SirEcho, Nov 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SirEcho

SirEcho Thread Starter

My daughter bought an Acer Aspire One AOA150 / ZG5 3 years ago. It's small, modestly specified and runs Linplus Linux. Windows would have been more familiar - but more resource (and money!) hungry. I installed VLC Media Player v0.9.5 and Skype and all was well.
    Earlier this year the wireless stopped working, and the browser too, even when connected by LAN (Skype was OK). I Googled for help / info, and found that most of the postings were those from 3 years ago - so I don't know if people have given up with their similar machines or are all living happily ever after!
    I restored factory settings, and the browser was restored, but no wireless. I tried alternate wireless cards, and eventually WiFi was back again - but I confess I don't know how or why. Card? Software? Settings?
    The remaining problem is VLC Media Player. I can only find v.0.8.6i. This plays all the files I've tried (although that's 3 years old, with 3 year old codecs, etc.), but with no picture. I have been through all the preferences and settings on VLC, but no joy. Any ideas please?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

On this page are all the available versions of VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/#download

There does not appear to be one for your version of Linux so you may have an incompatability problem. It may be worth experimenting with the various Linux compatible versions but might be easier to change your version of Linux to one that is in the list for VLC.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

See if Synaptic has a version available for your machine as an update, too.

4. SirEcho

SirEcho Thread Starter

Thanks Mark - the frustrating thing is that there WAS a way forward which now seems to have faded away. (Not that it's certain a newer version would have solved the video issue). So many versions for all the sub-sets on Videolan!!
    I'll check out Synaptic - a quick look revealed someone with similar problem a year ago ...maybe solved by now!! Cheers!

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't know for sure that Synaptic is installed on your version, but if it is, and you check all the repositories, there is sure to be a good media player downloadable. If it is not Synaptic, there is sure to be some software updater installed. Often there is more than one.

Your problem is probably one of missing codecs. Most players install codecs so even the player that does not work now may work after you install another player.

Good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026526

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice