1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire Revo R1600 WinXP hangs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cyberiabbs, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cyberiabbs

cyberiabbs Thread Starter

Hello All!

This is my first post here.

I have an Acer Aspire Revo R1600 that I bought 3 years ago. It is running WinXP, and it came with it installed. I did not install a different OS over what the stock installation.

This PC has been running fine for the past 3 years. Then all of a sudden, it starts having issues, where it will freeze up, or hang. I'll try to open a window, and it will just clock. I get no error messages. I thought it might be a virus, but I had Avast Pro installed, and performed a full system scan, and found no issue.

The problem got so bad that I cannot open any windows at all. I could not even do CTL-ALT-DEL to get the task manager. The clock on the start bar would also not update.

So I did a full factory reset. But even during the install, when it tries to install the updates, it will also hang. I would again need to do a hard reboot. I've done this a few times now, and it takes about 6 reboots to finish the system update process and get me a point where I can try to work on the issue.

I've read in other posts that I need to change in the HDD settings in BIOS from SATA to Native IDE. I've done that, and did a fresh factory reset again, but the problem persists.

I've gone safe mode, and it seems that I have better luck being able to do things. I've also read that the NVIDIA drivers need to be updated or replaced. I've gone into add/remove programs and removed all the NVIDIA drivers, but the problem persists.

Is there some other issue I could be having? Like a failing HDD, or memory, or even CPU/Motherboard?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Unless you changed something which caused the problem, you don't need to change anything. You will likely just end up making things worse.

As it also doesn't work in Safe Mode and you have performed a Restore. The most likely cause would be faulty hardware. The typical causes would be the RAM, HDD, motherboard, or power supply.

EDIT: Could also be heat. When was the last time it was cleaned?

You can test the RAM using Memtest86. You can test the HDD using the drive manufacturers disk tools.

You could also check Windows Event Viewer to see if Windows is logging any errors.

3. cyberiabbs

cyberiabbs Thread Starter

Thanks for your response.

I agree that it is likely a hardware issue, since it fails so badly after a system refresh. I considered your suggestion about heat and needing to be cleaned. I vacuumed it from the vent grille and tried again. It still seems to be having issues. Event viewer shows no issues. Memtest86 could not be found.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1095023

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice