1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LS, Dec 30, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LS

LS Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I have a problem with an Acer Aspire computer. Upon starting it comes up to the bios settings and just sits there. If that is not bad enough I can't even get into the box( It is about 6 years old). It has the curved front and no obvious way to get into the cabinet. I have tried anything that I know and I can't get into the system. No screws in the back. I appreciate any help. Thank your.LS

2. Sponsor

3. LarryCore

LarryCore

Check the front plastic - is there a little handle there? If so, pull down on it, then grab it and pull towards you - the entire casing will come off.

Assuming you get it open, unplug all IDE drives and see if it will boot.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

4. LarryCore

LarryCore

Just remembered, some of them have 2 handles, each on the side. Push them towards the back of the computer, then the whole case pulls off.

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

5. LS

LS Thread Starter

Thank you very much LarryCore. I did pull on the handle and the case came off. I will try and troubleshoot it now. Thank you again. LS

6. LS

LS Thread Starter

Well the case came off like a charm. I took all the IDE drives off and all the cards. the system still goes to the point right before booting into the c:\. Once I hooked everything back up and started it now it says to insert a boot disk. So I used an old win 95 rescue disk. it booted to it but still couldn't see the hard drive. Then I moved the IDE's around to different channels and no luck. Then I put everything back to the original state and all of sudden it boots to win 95. It did say that the vmm32 or something like that was corrupted. I insert the win 95 cd in and then it booted just fine. I ran a scandisk and it hanged so I rebooted and now I am exactly where I was in the beginning. It asks for a boot disk in A:\. If you have any suggestions I really appreciate it. Thank you. LS

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

Sounds like you may have a hard drive going out.

Try unhooking the hard drive and and CDROMs again. Go into BIOS and make sure it knows there are not any drives connected (other than floppy) then boot again.

If it boots ok to floppy, it has to be either the cable, the CD, or the hard drive.

If it won't boot from floppy, there are a bunch of possibilities...

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

8. LS

LS Thread Starter

Hello. I appreciate your response LarryCore. From reading your reply and doing some tests, it seems that my problem is the hard drive. Thank you very much for the help and happy new year. LS

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34702