1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Aspire

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Shiro910, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

Here's a link to the computer I bought

Hi! The internet (broadband) worked for the first day from about 7 PM to sometime between 12 Midnight and 9 PM the next day. It worked completely fine the first day, no problems at all, and then the very next day as soon as we got on the internet stopped working. We have a Motorola SB5100 SURFboard Cable Modem for Comcast internet and a Buffalo AIR WHR-G54S Router. The internet was connected through the router for the laptop, so I thought it was the router. I plugged the modem directly into the laptop, but still nothing. We tried to set up connections to the router via the "Connect To" screen: broadband says it requires a username and a password and the wireless tells me I have "limited access" but allows access to nothing. Neither the Modem installation CD or the Router Set-up CD run correctly on the laptop (modem installs but it's way too old for Vista, and the Router Set-Up doesn't start to run until after you eject the disc tray). I did manage to install the Router's Control Panel onto the laptop, but it does absolutely nothing -- I can't change anything but what profiles are on it. The normal computer (Dell from about 2002 or 2003, Windows SP1) runs totally fine.

So . . . . .

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the night before the internet stopped working, the computer started to update. When I tried to turn it off, it told me it had to install some updates, so I just closed the computer (as in closed the screen into the keyboard), which put it in sleep mode (oops). The next day, when I opened it up, it had stayed on in "sleep" mode all night so the updates still had to be installed. No problem. After this, the internet wasn't working.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

You might want to check and see if there is a restore point from the first day that you can go back to which may correct everything.

3. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

Unfortunately not =/

4. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello shiro910
    so did the updates install ? or not?

5. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

The update did install.

6. kenny111111

kenny111111

try uninstalling any update that were installed on THAT day.

start>control panel> uninstall a program (left pane)show insalled updates>the ones you want to uninstall

7. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

Which ones should I unistall?

50 were installed that day

8. kenny111111

kenny111111

uninstall any that were put in on the day before or day of all the trouble started!!

edit you can install them one at a time later

9. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

ALL of them were. Some of them were just for Microsoft Office, do I unistall those?

10. kenny111111

kenny111111

if it were me i would. but try others first
    you can always update (if internet works)

11. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

*sigh* This is frustrating. It takes like 30 seconds each and there's 50 of them. Is there a better way than uninstalling them 1 by 1?

12. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

Oh right uhhh it probably isn't the laptop. My nintendo Wii can't connect to the wireless router either, and it used to do it just fine.

13. kenny111111

kenny111111

not that i know of. but you could try to connect after each one and you will know which one it is

14. kenny111111

kenny111111

try connecting the old fasion way

15. Shiro910

Shiro910 Thread Starter

You mean wired? Doesn't work on the laptop either.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!