1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

acer burner

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onely, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onely

onely Thread Starter

Hi,
    The burner says acer , in the device manager it says adapti 4x4x32..it spins opens and closes runs cd's goes through the process of burning but nothing is burnt. is there a way to tell if it is fried?

Thanks

2. MRCooLBP

MRCooLBP

Thats odd. i have a few questions

Is it factory install or did you put it in?
    Did it used to work and stop or has it never worked?
    What program are you using to burn CDs?

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, at that speed, it's obviously pretty old, so I'd say it's time to replace it anyway. :)

4. onely

onely Thread Starter

I put in it my old computer myself, it use to work but just stopped, using easy cd creator 5..I know it is old I have a yamaha that works great in my new computer the old one is for my kids

5. MRCooLBP

MRCooLBP

Sorry man i think Johnwill is right time to get a new one OR burn CDs for you're kids.
    Egad sorry about that second solution i don't know what i was thinking.

6. slipe

slipe

This software will probably work with your burner as is. Give it a try: http://151.199.135.3:8090/extreme.html

If that doesn’t work you might try some canned air on the laser/reader if you happen to have a can. You could also try one of those cleaning CDs if you have one.

Office Max has a Cendyne 48X burner for $20 this week after rebate. If you don’t mind messing with rebates it might be an option. Cendyne doesn’t make their own burners. Most likely a Lite-On, Ricoh, Sanyo or Phillips.

7. onely

onely Thread Starter

well I got it to burn because it plays on my DVD player but it won't play in the burner or cd rom, it says drive not assesible, I put a different cd into the drives and they work??
    very weird. thanks for you help

8. Dynochem

Dynochem

Upgrade the firmware version
    I've done it on 3 of these & they now work perfectly

9. onely

onely Thread Starter

hi and thank you, do you know where I can update this firmware in English so I know what it says?

10. onely

onely Thread Starter

I found it thanks anyway

11. Dynochem

Dynochem

No problem...
    By the way these burners seem to like NTI CD-Maker or Nero 5.5 and up.
    Clone CD & Adaptec are a bit of a 'hit or miss' depending upon if it's the 4x4x32 or the 8x4x32 and also the Firmware version.

Also, don't be afraid to flash the CD Writer... it's easy & only takes about 20 secs.

Remember though... that particular model doesn't have 'burnproof' or 'justlink' technology like the newer ones, so do your first burn as a 'simulate burn' or 'test burn'.
    If it fails, drop the speed to 2x & try again.
    (This will probably happen more on audio CDs than DATA)
    Good Luck

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice