Solved Acer CB3-431 screen stops when opening the lid

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chopperman

My laptop shorts out or stops when I open the lid sometimes, then I have to move lid to a different position to keep it on or stop it from blinking. It is annoying at times, my wife says get a new one, I say it can be fixed much cheaper.
Any help would be appreciated.
Stan

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

If you are comfortable opening and working inside your laptop, you may be right. Since your wife already approves of a new laptop, if you mess it up, you can just agree with her that "You're right, dear. Let's get a new one." ;-)

It sounds like it may be the display cable which starts on the main board and connects to the lid. There are other cables that also thread up that way, a camera, Wi-Fi antenna leads, maybe speakers, a lid switch (which detects the position of the lid so as to activate sleep mode), etc. You may have any combination of those, likely not all of them.

Try to see if you can detect any place near the hinge area where cables may be pinched or shorted. You'll have to remove pieces/parts along the way to access various areas. The display bezel might be a good place to start looking. Remove it (the plastic piece around the periphery of the screen). Often there are a couple of screws, sometimes under rubber pieces or simple glued-on covers. Then gently put your fingers under the inner edge of the plastic where it meets the LCD itself and gently, but firmly pry it away from the screen. There may be a small strip of double-sided tape holding it in place.

You'll just have to look around, moving wires to simulate the movement of moving the lid and try to determine where the problem is. It may even be the switch that detects the lid closing to activate sleep mode. Sometimes they are magnetic, I remember something like a mercury switch once upon a time, but I doubt they still use those.

Good luck and keep us posted!

chopperman

Mark, you were right, near the lower left hinge both the screen and the wire looms are taped together and we're pinched. The loom that goes to the camera and microphone were fried together, that answered my other problem. The wires that go to the screen were pinched and one of them was bare, I coated it with some super glue and then taped it. I snip the other wire loom to mic and camera and separated them and secured them with tape. I never use the camera or mic so no big loss to me.
My computer lives to fight another day.
Mark, thank you much.
Stan

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Excellent Stan! Glad to hear it! You are most welcome!

You can mark the thread "Solved" if you are satisfied.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online