1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

acer cd-rw drive won't eject

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d0n, Jul 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. d0n

d0n Thread Starter

when I have a disk in it and windows is completely booted up it won't eject. It WILL open up for disk insertion if there is no disk in it in the first place , tho. I can only eject it during the windows ME booting process. Is this normal?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

SOLUTION 1

Double click on the My Computer icon.
    Right click on the CD-ROM icon.
    Left click Eject from the menu.
    SOLUTION 2

Turn off the computer.
    Remove the screws on the back of the case that hold the case on.
    Slide the case backwards, and lift off.
    Locate the back of the CD-ROM, there should be a white power connector with 4 wires. Remove the connector, and plug it back in.
    Turn on the power, and try to eject the tray.
    If the tray opens, put the case back on, and fasten the screws.

Be wary of voiding any warranties with step #2.
    ---
    ---
    After boot, see if the cdrom is recognized in my computer. Try deleting it from device manager, upgrading the drivers and rebooting.

3. lavigne

lavigne

...and, if it turns out that none of those suggestions help, then you probably have a faulty mechanism. You can get CDs out of a CD Rom, however doing so may end up harming the device in the long run (it's only to be used for occasional problems)...there is a small hole at the front for your CD Rom, about the size of a pencil lead. That's the manual over-ride. Poke a pin or something equally as thin, but perhaps not as sharp, into the hole and the CD Rom will open. Again, this is a buitl-in manual over-ride, but the CD Rom documentation will tell you that it may damage the device if used excessively. *At least you'll be able to get any CD's out of the thing while you try to figure out what's wrong.*

Good Luck. Oh, and if you can't get it working by following the suggestions offered by DoyceJ, and if it's under warrenty, just send it back and see if the manufacturer can fix it.

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Down in the lower right hand corner, do you by chance, have DirectCD running?

5. d0n

d0n Thread Starter

I've nailed it down a bit further. I boot up with a data read-write cd in the drive. If I go no further, it WILL eject. BUT, if I should ever happen to bring up "My Computer" and click on the "F" drive to look at my data, it is no longer possible to eject. EVEN if I close the "My Computer" window. Therefore, the only way I can eject it, is to re-boot the computer. Also, it stands to reason then, that it is software related, not hardware related. Also, this never happened until I upgraded from Win 98 to Win ME. It almost appears to be that the MS people put this in there WIN ME software deliberately to prevent corruption of the cd by a careless user ejecting during a write-to-file operation. Anyway, thanks for all your helpfulness. It's not that big a problem. d0n

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

dOn

[*url="http://www.zonelabs.com/"]HERE[/url*]

Without the stars at the beginning and end it will look like this.

HERE

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Look at the above post in TSG forums. Not in your email. Also, it would be nice if you had your email enabled so I would not have to post everytime.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/48457

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice