1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer e5-575-33bm windows 8.1 32 bit graphics driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by henigmda, Aug 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. henigmda

henigmda Thread Starter

Greetings. I'm an 8th grade science teacher here in Daytona Beach. I purchased a set of smart response clickers for my classroom that require a windows 8.1 32 bit system to run, and I installed windows 8.1 on my backup Acer laptop. Smart response clickers are outdated but they don't require my students to have phones, which most don't have. I got everything installed and the clickers are working fine except for the video card is now showing up as Microsoft Basic Display Adapter which will not allow me to dual screen to my projector, so I can't use it in the classroom.

Please help me and the kids of Daytona Beach by helping me solve this problem. I've researched and tried to install numerous display adapter drivers to no avail. I'm pretty sure it's 64 bit vs. 32 bit problem, but there has to be a driver or solution out there somewhere. I'm almost sure it's running an Intel hd graphic s 620, but not certain.
    Thanks for your help! ..... Doc

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7100U CPU @ 2.40GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 2188 Mb
    Graphics Card: Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
    Hard Drives: C: 931 GB (893 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Acer, Ironman_SK
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Intel Core i3-7100U dual core processor is a 7th generation model.

It does have an Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated graphics device, so you're correct about that.

It appears you installed Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit in that Acer laptop, but no driver was installed for its integrated graphics device, so it's running in basic mode.

The Intel driver downloads site has a driver for that integrated graphics device, but it's only for Windows 10 64-bit.

I checked the Microsoft Update Catalog site and found drivers listed for that integrated graphics device which date between 2016 and 2019, but they're all for Windows 10 64-bit.

I'm guessing that Acer laptop came with Windows 10 64-bit, and that its support site has no drivers listed for Windows 8.1 32/64-bit.

What's the exact SNID number and serial number on it?

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  3. henigmda

henigmda Thread Starter

Good morning. Yes, you're correct. The Acer laptop was originally win 10 64 bit, but I downgraded it to win 8.1 32 bit so that I can run my clickers. The SNIS is 72904976276, and the serial is NXGG5AA0057290C2627600. I've tried a variety of drivers but not have worked so far. Everything works except dual monitor mode which I need to project the clicker questions to my classes.
    Thanks! Doc

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to that SNID number and serial number, you have this Acer Aspire E5-575 laptop.
    According to its "Drivers And Manuals" section, it has drivers for its devices only for Windows 10 64-bit.
    According to its "Product Details" section, it has only an Intel HD Graphics 620 integrated graphics device.
    It does not have a separate dedicated graphics device which could possibly support Windows 8.1 32-bit.

Because that laptop is running Windows 8.1 32-bit(an unsupported operating system), that's the reason why its integrated graphics device(and possibly other devices) aren't working properly.
    I honestly don't know at this point how you can resolve your display issue. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. henigmda

henigmda Thread Starter

Thank you looking into this for me. I'll reinstall windows 10 on my Acer laptop and use another formative assessment platform like kahoot. I guess clickers have run their course. Doc

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  7. henigmda

henigmda Thread Starter

You're correct. Smart notebook 16 supposedly works with windows 10, but it doesn't. I downloaded it and tried everything I could to get it to work on both my Asus Zenbook, and my backup Acer. The usb receiver will not turn on and connect with the clickers. I read on the smart technologies website that the receivers will only work on 32 bit operating systems. That's what started me on this journey. I installed win 8.1 32 bit on my Acer, the clickers work great, but I can't project to my class because of the incompatible graphics card. Do you think that an external video card would work?
    Thank you! Doc

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could install Windows 10 32 bit on the Acer.

Sorry, I don't know if a external video card would work. I think the only way to find out would be to try it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice