1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Extensa 4420-5239 wifi problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by egrier, Dec 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. egrier

egrier Thread Starter

My daughter has an Acer Extensa 4420-5239 laptop running Vista Home Premium that is having problems with the wifi. The problem is that when she tries to connect to a secured network, the laptop will connect but it says that it has limited connectivity and so you cannot get on the internet. She said that it happens at college also. If the network is unsecured, there isn't any problems at all. The thing connects and you can surf away. My router at home is a wireless TrendNet 652. I set it to WPA2-PSK. The other devices in the house (ipad, ipod touches, HTC Inspire, Dell computer) connect just fine to this router setup. It is just her computer that's having issues. Any ideas of what may be going on with it?

Thanks!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Whats the model of the wireless adapter id AR5007 - they seem to have a problem with vista and WPA(2)

Make sure you have the latest drivers from the Acer website
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support

post back a screen shot of device manager
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager
    Post back the results in device manager
    If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

windows key and pause Key should open to allow device manager to be seen on laptops may need to use windows key + FN key + Pause Key
    if not then

Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    windows 7
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
    To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
    Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. egrier

egrier Thread Starter

It is a Broadcom network adapter. I will get a screenshot of Device manager for you. Thanks for your help.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. egrier

egrier Thread Starter

Here is a screenshot of the Device Manager. I will download the zip and let you know how it goes. :)

Attached Files:

• dm.jpg
      dm.jpg
      File size:
      55 KB
      Views:
  6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    try the link I posted and download and re-install the driver

7. egrier

egrier Thread Starter

Will do after I get home from work this evening.

8. egrier

egrier Thread Starter

Ok, I tried to update the drivers with the link that you sent to me but I get this error: The driver files you wish to remove will not be removed as the corresponding card is not inserted, What now?

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    right click on the device and un-install then when you restart windows and it detects the hardware also point to the new driver

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1033520

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice