1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Extensa 5620 Laptop - Partitions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dannic, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dannic

dannic Thread Starter

I hope someone can lead me in the right direction. I have a new Acer laptop with vista pre-installed. It had 3 pre installed partitions;-

1. Hidden EISA Configuration
    2. C - with vista installed - 111gb NTFS
    3. D - data - empty - 111gb NTFS

I have shrunk C to a smaller size 77gb and now I have an unallocated section of 34gb. The unallocated section is between C & D.

What I would like to do is merge the unallocated area with partition D and install XP pro onto it.

My idea behind all this is to put C (with vista ) aside and use XP Pro, until I have to use Vista. I would like to make C. smaller but that was the smallest size DiskManagement would allow.

Now back to my original question how do I merge unallocated and partition D.

Thanking you in advance:confused:

2. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

3. dannic

dannic Thread Starter

Hi Leroy1000- Thank you for the link, much appreciated. Before I install it and start the process can you or anybody answer another question for me. After I install XP on the second partition, will I be able to boot straight into xp or do I have to change settings somewhere. I am not interested in setting up dual booting but will if I have too.

thanks again

4. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

If you want access to both operating systems,you will need to setup dual boot.
    The problem with installing XP after vista is installed,is that XP will
    take over the boot process.
    The vista boot will need to be repaired after installation of XP.
    You will need have a regular vista disk to do it.
    I don't think restore disks will work.
    Restore vista boot.

5. dannic

dannic Thread Starter

Hi leroys1000

I downloaded the partition Manager you recommended and merge the 2 partitions I wanted, but when I rebooted I had a problem there and had to use a restore point to start up windows. It seems to be working OK now. I have also downloaded Windows Vista bootloader so that I can boot into vista as well. I thought I better be able to get into vista as this is a new laptop and I dont want to void my warranty. If there is anything you feel I should be aware of, please let me know. It would be much appreciated as I have never done anything like this before.

thanks again:)

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

You just want to make sure you select the proper partition or free space
    when runnig the XP install.
    You don't want to overwrite your vista install.
    You will need to set the bios to boot to the CD drive first,
    then boot the XP disk.
    Watch the screen for "to boot from CD press a key".
    Press a key.
    After XP is installed,you will need to download and install the
    hardware drivers from the manuacturers website.

7. dannic

dannic Thread Starter

As I have never had anything do with dual boot, I hope my next question does not sound stupid. Even though I will be able to boot (hopefully) into vista, I wont be using it at all. Will I still need to have an antivirus program installed in vista and updated and will vista be secure and if not how do I secure it.

Another question when you shrink and expand partitions do you lose any harddrive. My harddrive is suppose to be 250gbs all up, but adding up all the partitions I only have 222gbs.

thanks again

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

An antivirus installaed in XP will be able to scan the vista partition,
    But it doesn't hurt to have one installed in vista is case you decide to use it.

Both XP and vista have built in firewalls but there are free alternatives.
    Free antivirus.
    Zonealarm free firewall.
    The space difference you see is because the drive manufacturers use a
    different formula to calculate disk space than windows does.
    Yours is about right.
    Make sure to install all the critical updates and any of the other updates you
    need from windows update.

9. dannic

dannic Thread Starter

XP pro installed OK and I have updated it. When I go into my computer and D. properties, it shows that I have used 111 gb and I have less than half unused. I have only installed xp pro with its updates and Avira antivirus. I know this is a vista forum, so should I take this to the xp forum, or can someone help me here.

thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/771781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice