1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Extensa 5635G won't boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maxsteele77, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxsteele77

maxsteele77 Thread Starter

My Acer Extensa 5635G won't boot up.

When I press the on button I can hear the hard drive spin on and the fan turn on, the light to indicate that the laptop is on comes on and so does the bluetooth indicator light. However the screen doesn't turn on and after approx 5 seconds everything turns off, then after another couple of seconds the laptop turns back on by itself with all the same stuff happening (HDD spinning, fan, power light, on light and bluetooth light) screen stays black and it just sits like that indefinitely. No matter how long I leave it on for when I press the power button again it instantly switches off.

I've taken out and checked the hdd on another pc and it works fine, I've taken out and tried the RAM in the different slots and I've tried plugging it in to a different monitor via the VGA port. Same thing happens no matter what I try, even with no HDD or RAM in it.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. jhayz

jhayz

Other things worth trying is to remove the battery and press the power button for atleast 20 seconds then power on without the battery pack inserted while directly connect on ac power adapter only. Did you check the CPU physically for any unwanted markings and reapply thermal paste? What changes or issues before this started to transpire?

3. maxsteele77

I've already tried the battery/power stuff.

I can't tell for sure but the CPU looks ok (at least no extremely obvious damage/markings) I've got no idea how to reapply thermal paste but would that cause the problem?

Nothing out of the ordinary happened before this.

4. jhayz

jhayz

5. maxsteele77

But surely if it was an overheating problem it would take time to actually overheat?

As I said above it turns off after a couple of seconds and then starts itself up again and will then just sit there in that state (with the things listed above on) seemingly forever without turning off again.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually a CPU can overheat within a couple of seconds if the HSF and thermal interface isn't there. Not likely the case here but a possibility this being an older laptop going by the model number. There is also the possibility that the case is choked with dust, which would cause overheating problems as well.

7. maxsteele77

Reading around a bit to other people that have had similar problems it seems it *may* be able to be fixed by flashing the bios. Anyone got any idea how to do this for the Extensa 5635G?

The bios .zip for it from the Acer site has a dos and windows folder but both of them only contain a .exe file (other people with similar issues mentioned the bios .zip having .bin and/or .wph files as well)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1118075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice