Acer Hit by Ransomware Attack

Stupid hackers, think money grows on trees. Just because a company is famous doesn't mean it can afford humongus sums of ransom money.

Couriant

James
100M if they pay late, or a 20% discount if paid early....

managed

Allan
20% discount looks like a good deal ;)

Much loss of face (and maybe cash) for Acer if this is true though.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
20% discount looks like a good deal ;)
In my opinion any payment is a VERY bad deal

IMHO there is absolutely no chance of Acer paying even with the hackers promise of

The attackers also offered a 20% discount if payment was made by this past Wednesday. In return the ransomware gang would provide a decryptor, a vulnerability report, and the deletion of stolen files.
which appears to have been the 17 March

At one point, the REvil operation offered a cryptic warning to Acer "to not repeat the fate of the SolarWind."

and I am sure as well that Acer would not for one moment believe the promise.
Even if it was honoured it would set a standard for the hackers that would open the flood gates.

Why Acer? - well I have my own ideas.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This evinces the expression: "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" 🤦‍♂️

managed

Allan
This reminds me of the famous quote by Oscar Wilde :-

"To lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness"

It is impossible to secure everything in one week, especially for a large organization like Acer. I pity them.

The best bang for the buck, IMHO, is for them to run a vulnerability checker like Nessus on everything then test and patch in order of the vulnerabilities' critical level.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!