1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer laptop problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jayjay11, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jayjay11

jayjay11 Thread Starter

aspire 1670 acer laptop

My problem is.

I plug in the power chord and my computer charges like it should, but when I turn my computer on it no longer takes power from the power outlet, it starts running off the batterie.
    I'm tired of charging my laptop before using, there must be a switch or something which will allow my laptop to run off the power outlet.

thanks in advance.

2. HalTrout

HalTrout

What happens when you take the battery out, and try to run on power cord?

3. HalTrout

HalTrout

What happens with the battery removed and on wall power?

4. jayjay11

jayjay11 Thread Starter

I start my laptop without the battery
    and it turns on for like 10 seconds then turns off.,

5. HalTrout

HalTrout

Sounds like your power supply isn't working properly. Do you have another power adapter to try.

6. jayjay11

jayjay11 Thread Starter

You mean like another power cord?

nope

7. HalTrout

HalTrout

What kind of power adapter do you have?

8. jayjay11

jayjay11 Thread Starter

I lost my original power adapter, so I went out and bought a universal adapter chord.
    It says on one of the papers which adapter tip if for what kind of laptop. The adapter tip for acer doesnt fit on my laptop for some reason, so i'm using a different adapter tip, I dont think it should make a difference.
    The adapter I bought has some sort of saftey on it, its almost asif my laptop takes to much power so its cutting off my powersupply.

I aint sure.

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

From what I have read, your laptop needs a power supply that can output 20 VDC with a minimum current rating of 6 amps. Have you confirmed that your universal adapter is configured to output that voltage and current?

Some some AC/DC adapters that use different add on tips usually allow the tip to be attached two different ways to give different DC polarities to the contacts. Plugging any power adapter into the PC with the wrong polarity could damage the laptop's internal circuitry.

Putting the wrong size of plug into the laptop's DC input connector may not make a good connection or may even damage the input connector so that it will not work even with the correct plug.

10. HalTrout

HalTrout

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/594173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice