1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Laptop Shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doctorj01, Jun 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorj01

doctorj01 Thread Starter

I read an eery posting from May, describing an Acer user trying to re-install Windows XP, only to find that the computer would shut down suddenly about 10 minutes into the re-install. My wife has an Acer laptop that performs fine through boot-up, and then suddenly shuts down after about 10 minutes. It's happened both on battery power and when the computer is plugged in, so that adds to the mystery. I originally thought it might be some kind of virus - the computer's virus software needed to be upgraded and I had a multi-user copy of Norton Internet Security, so I downloaded it from the Symantec website and entered my key code. That part appeared to go fine, however to my knowledge that's when the sudden shut-down problem began, but I'm not absolutely positive. Once the Symantec software loaded it wanted to update the virus definitions, etc. but the computer would shut down after 10 minutes and it was never able to update all the things it wanted to update. I also tried to bypass the update and scan for viruses, but had the same problem - the computer shuts down in the middle of the scan.

Any suggestions?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Be sure your fan is running and that the vents aren't obstructed. Sounds like a heat problem.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Usually I subscribe to the cause and effect theory of computing. When something goes wrong and you have just installed some software or hardware before this happening, take whatever it is out. Unfortunately with Norton crapware this is not so easy. You need to download and install a special tool to do this correctly and here it is.
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
    You should then install antivirus and it is perfectly acceptable to use free ones here:
    www.avast.com
    www.grisoft.com

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/585706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice