1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Laptop SNID and Hardware problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kierenj, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kierenj

Kierenj Thread Starter

Hello, My problem is this, on my Acer 5738z windows 7 Notebook. Acer didn't put air holes on this product. One day it just didn't work, I'd start the laptop as usual and nothing came up, not even BIOS. I have checked it on a t.v. and another monitor and it wasn't working. So I took it to a repair shop around my corner and he said that the GPU had been melted to the motherboard which had broken the motherboard. I've contacted Acer via their email support and they're asking for an SNID, a reasonable question of course, but my problem is this. The sticker which would normally tell you this has rubbed off and it's completely illegible. I know you can get it on BIOS but you cannot get to BIOS to get it.

Also does this sound like I'm able to get a new laptop from Acer because of their stupidity? Or am I just going to get a go away here's the bill?

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

How long ago did you purchase the product?
    if still within Warranty period then you should receive a new machine from Acer (if cannot be repaired, which in this instance is almost a given)
    As far as your SNID is concerned, if there is no way of reading it from from the casing on the machine and you obviously cannot boot the machine to find it in there,
    Only other way i can think of is try and either get in touch with or go personally to the place you bought it giving date of purchase, they should be able to give you the SNID which will be on their systems at time of sale. (make sure and take your receipt though if you still have it)
    Did you register your purchase with Acer? they will have a log of this if you did so which you will be able to get from their support team as long as you can prove you are the registered user of the machine.

Even if you cannot do the above Acer will still have a record of when their product was purchased from a vendor again as long as you know date of purchase etc.

3. managed

managed Allan Trusted Advisor

If you have the box it came in the SNID might be on it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1062386