1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Laptop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by DawnyD69, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DawnyD69

DawnyD69 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Not visited for a while so you can guess I have a problem :confused:

I bought an Acer Aspire 5920 in December with an Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 processor (2.0GHz, 800MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache).

If I attempt to open up any more than 2 programs I get a Microsoft Windows message telling me that I am low on memory (usually only got Messenger and IE open - how can it be low on memory with that processor??) and asking me to shut down.

Or sometimes I get an Acer Empowering Framework message JIT debugger message something along the lines of JIT Debugger has failed to attach to a program and press Retry to try to do so manually but, of course, the screen goes blank in places and the system doesn't recover.

Other times it says there is an exception that can't be handled. Has anyone heard of this type of thing happening before. I can send it back to Acer but they said if it's a software problem then I have to bear the cost. Whilst I feel it may be a hardware problem I thought it best to check first if it is just this Acer Empowering programme that is messing up.

Any help or advice from you guys would be most gratefully appreciated.

Dawn

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You forgot to mention how much memory you have. :)

Open Task Manager and on the Performance tab see what it's telling you about total memory and memory used. Maybe a RAM chip is loose and/or there's something wrong with the swap file.

3. unbidden

unbidden

I believe the ram is factory installed at 2gb.

Have you scanned for malware?

4. Bobbyt_07

Bobbyt_07

I have the exact same notebook with the exact same problem... please help!!

5. unbidden

unbidden

First place to start is run up to date virus and spyware scans.
    Also do a little house cleaning; temp files, history, cookies.

6. TechOutsider

TechOutsider Banned

run

"msconfig"

tell me whats checked under services and startup.

Malware is a possibility. Try Clamwin AV. Use the scan memory feature. It can detect actively running malware, as you might have.

http://www.clamwin.com/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!