1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer machine won't boot into Vista restore.. PQSERVICE?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Bonecrusher123, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bonecrusher123

Bonecrusher123 Thread Starter

ok guys, i was just about to re-install Vista on this Acer PC. i'm supposed to press ALT + F10 and then it'll begin the restore, but it doesn't. i thought there might have been something wrong with the partition so i checked using a partition manager and it's still there... it's 10GB and it's called 'PQService'. does anyone know i can boot into this? i tried going into 'Repair PC' but that didn't work.. i just want to be able to boot into the 'PQService' partition.

thanks

2. Bonecrusher123

i'm not sure if i'm in the right forum or not. i just want to be able to boot into the 'PQService' partition so i can restore the machine to factory defauts, but when i press ALT + F10 on bootup at the Acer screen nothing happens and it just keeps booting into windows.

does anyone know how i can do it?
    i googled and found this:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/3473-acer-pqservice-experiences-to-share

3. Bonecrusher123

anyone know what i need to do? i don't want to kill this machine.

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Whats your Acer model #? Maybe you can find this on a sticker on the PC. If you can provide the model, maybe someone can hunt down the user manual for you.

5. Bonecrusher123

it's an acer aspire 1610M. i just want to access the PQService partition so i can take it back to factory defaults.

6. Bonecrusher123

i installed win7 because i had to, and i think this messed with the MBR so alt f10 doesnt work at start.

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

If the restore partition doesn't work, you have to contact Acer to see if you can purchase restore disks. You can't download this from anywhere.

8. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

When one installs a different OS, the "System Recover:" files on the OS disk have been removed, so the OEM recover will not work. One has to get a Recover disk from the OEM to do this recover.

9. valis

valis Moderator

what he said.

10. Bonecrusher123

i checked and the PQService partition is still there... it's still 10gb.

11. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

BUT, the required files to get it started were on the C drive and have been removed, so the recover will not start up.

12. Bonecrusher123

they haven't been removed. they're still on the drive.

13. Bonecrusher123

i just came across this in another forum and he recommended i do this:

"Just out of interest, for those who stumble across this thread who are trying to use "pqservice" without the ALT+F10 at boot function ( which is probably because of other partitions of the drive being formatted removing the mbr which allowed the ALT+F10 function to work)

After the above instructions do the following:
    Open Start Menu
    Right click on computer
    Click Manage
    Click disk management (under storage)
    Set your pqservice as the active partition,or other recovery partition as the active partition( right click the partition click mark as active)
    then reboot
    the recovery partition will then start after POST and you will be able to put your computer back to Factory settings.
    when factory restore is complete PQSERVICE will be hidden again"

would this work?

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

If your system is still working partially, I would back up all data first.

If you set the pqservice partition to active, then there might be no path backwards, if the restore service didn't work.

15. Bonecrusher123

ok, thanks. i might try and install vista and then run the acer e-recovery program. could this work?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1015826