1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Acer Monitor Not Plug & Play

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sassyer, Feb 11, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

Good Morning,
    I purchased a refurbished Acer K202HQL Monitor to connect to my Acer E5-575 Laptop running Windows 10. The monitor is supposed to be plug and play, but it is not. I cannot get the monitor to work with the laptop. It is connected by a cable, like the ones that come with printers. It came with the monitor. The monitor does not have a port for an HDMI cable, but the laptop does.

Device Manager has a PnP Monitor driver. I have tried to updated the driver, and get "Windows has determined that the best driver for this device is already installed." I have also scanned for hardware changes and find none.

I have also scanned for hardware changes in Device Manager for Display Adapters and there are none.

When I try to add the monitor as a device in Device Manager it is not found.

When I go into Display Settings the monitor is not found.

I am stuck. Ideas please...TY!

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    According to its support site, the Acer K202HQL 19.5" LCD monitor has 2 different video connectors:

VGA
    VGA.JPG

HDMI
    HDMI.JPG

----------------------------------------------------------------

3. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

TY. I will look again.
    Nope. See pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks for the photos.
    They confirm your Acer monitor actually has VGA and DVI-D video ports.
    Does your Acer laptop have either of those video ports?

You said your laptop and monitor are connected with a cable that looks like one you use with a printer.
    Modern printers use a cable which has a USB connector.

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply and ideas.

You can see the type of cable connected to the monitor in the first picture.

As I shared earlier, my laptop has ports for both the a HDMI and VGA.

The Monitor only has ports for a VGA cable and DVI-D cable - see pictures.

I have already connected the laptop and monitor using the VGA ports and cable provided and it does not work.

6. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

First Name:
    Damienne
    Make sure your settings in your bios are set to "VGA" .
    I have no idea how to get into your particular bios for your laptop.You will have to do a search unless you already know how.

Sassyer likes this.
  7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I assumed your laptop and monitor are connected with a VGA cable, but I wasn't sure because you didn't provide a photo of how your laptop is connected.
    You also said your laptop and monitor are connected with a cable that looks like a printer cable, so that was another reason why I wasn't sure.

I've never connected and used an external monitor with a laptop, so I'll leave you with snuffleufflegus to sort out your issue.
    Good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Sassyer likes this.
  8. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

TY! No, I do not, but I will do some internet research and see if I can figure it out.

9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    After you connect the VGA cable between the monitor and the laptop, you have to press a function key so the display shows up on the external monitor.
    For my laptops (3 different ones), the key is F5. After the monitor is connected you hold down the function key and tap F5. It switches between laptop display, external display and both display. Keep tapping until you get what you want.

Sassyer likes this.
  10. lynx1021

lynx1021

I had to set up one of my monitors at work and I had changed from VGA to HDMI and I had to push a button on the monitor to select the right input, these are new 24" Dell monitors, you would think they would auto select.

Sassyer likes this.
  11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    The only HDMI I use is to connect a laptop to the tv to watch something on a larger screen.

On my desktop computer, I see the monitor checking to see what input to use. Our desktops are old so use VGA.

Sassyer likes this.
  12. lynx1021

lynx1021

On my old docking station at work one monitor was using display port and the other VGA. You could actually see the display port had a little sharper picture than the VGA. Now they are about the same with one display port and the other HDMI.

Sassyer likes this.
  13. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

Good idea. TY. My monitor is an Acer K202HQL. I checked and it has no buttons other than brightness, etc. I appreciate you response and the idea!

14. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

I appreciate your response. TY!

That raises the question, which cable plug in spot do I use on the monitor? If I use the VGA spot on the monitor, the Acer laptop has a VGA plug in spot. However, it does not work. Should I be using the other plug in spot? If so, how do I connect it to my Acer laptop? See monitor picture. Each plug in spot has a different pin configuration.

Attached Files:

15. Sassyer

Sassyer Thread Starter

Thank you for the response and ideas. I tried, no luck. I also also tried Windows + P to select the monitor but it does not show the monitor. The monitor itself says "no signal."

Any other ideas? All are very much appreciated!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1240075

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice