1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Notebook Meltdown....Please help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djwongdj, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djwongdj

djwongdj Thread Starter

AMD Turion 64 ML34(1.83Ghz)
    1 GB DDR Ram, 80GB HDD
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200M 128MB Integrated Graphics
    DVD+/-RW(DL)
    Win XP HE
    Wireless 802.11b/g & Bluetooth

Hi Everyone,

Above are the specs for my Acer Aspire 5043 notebook, purchased some 6-7 mths ago.

In the time I used it, my only complaint is that it does get really hot despite being elevated for better cooling. I am wondering what you guys think of those platforms that come with additional fans to elevated my pc and if I should get it. Currently, I'm using those half-balls that you stick to the 2 ends of the notebook. Anyway, back to the main problem....

All was well till last Sunday when on switching on, it began to make a loud whirring/rattling noise. Figuring it is most likely the fan, I unscrewed it and vacummed it but the noise remained.

Last night, it shut down on me and when I restarted it, a really long diskchk was triggered thereafter it went into a loop cycle, never being able to startup Windows. All this time the noise remained.

Tomorow, I am taking it to the dealers for repairs as it is still under warranty, but I'd like your take on what could possible be wrong with the pc.

Would really appreciate any education on why this is happening. TIA

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Usually the only 2 things in a laptop that will do this are HDD's or fans. The fact that it did a chkdsk makes me suspect HDD.

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As an added piece of advice. You should never use a Vacuum cleaner on any PC Laptop or Desktop! A vacuum generates tremendous Static Electric charges. These can destroy the circuits of a computer with out leaving any sort of visible sign. Instead use a can of compressed air designed for the cleaning of electronics devices.the $3 or $4 they cost are really a lot cheaper than the cost of a processor or stick of ram, or the cost of a new motherboard.

4. Clumbsy_Mage

Clumbsy_Mage

Very handy pieces of equipment cans of compressed air, great fun around the office aswell! *turns them upside and freezes stuff* :p

5. djwongdj

djwongdj Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

Does this mean I have fried my HDD? That does sound bad! Can they be replaced at all in a notebok?

Thanks.

6. steveb1492

steveb1492

Pretty easy to replace - your data on the other hand may be more challenging to transfer. Hopefully you have your most important data backed up. If not, there are data recovery services available (check google or your phone book), but they can cost a nice sum of money.

7. djwongdj

djwongdj Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

The guy at the service centre says that the fan was damaged because the louvres of the protective cover was pressed in on it accidentally from carrying it around - hence the sound, that somehow affected the HDD, which fortunately was not damaged but needed to be reformatted to get it started again.

Thank goodness the data had already been transferred safely.

Thanks for all your posts and advice, you guys are the greatest.

8. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Glad to hear it was just the fan. Even better news if it was fixed without having the replace a fried CPU!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488766

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice