1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Notebook Not Accepting Memory...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hitsu, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

I have the Acer 5570z and it came stock with 1GB of memory, and I did my research and the User Guide says it can take up to 4GB using two soDIMM modules (dual channel support) so I bought a 4GB pack (2 2GB sticks) of memory by corsair with matching specs and speed of memory that came stock with the PC (DDR2 PC2-5300). But when I installed both memory sticks, my PC turned on just fine, but did not load anything, the screen just stayed black. But when I removed one of the sticks of memory, the PC started up and booted the OS. I've tried everything I could to get 4GB out of this PC, but I'm thinking this PC can't handle 4GB of memory, but then why would the User Guide say it can?

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

when you have just 1GB module in how much memory is reported in bios and windows

then try each one seperately - it may be a faulty memory module or slot

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Double check they are in right, the fit on a laptop can be really difficult. Will one of the 2 gb sticks work with a 1 gb stick for 3 gb?

5. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

I tried all those possibilities you guys mentioned, and with just 1 2GB stick in, both the bios and the OS reads around 2GB of memory, and I did test them both seperatly and they both do work. I also tried it with just 1 2GB stick and then my 512MB and the bios and the OS reads around just 2GB :( So I'm confused why its doing this ><

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

it could be the 2nd slot thats faulty on the laptop

7. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

No, its not the second slot thats faulty because the manufacturer stock setup was dual 512MB and it recognized a full 1GB

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

i tried to find a manual online - but failed for that model number given .

A call to ACER to find out why a machine sold as being able to take 4GB wont, in UK sales of goods act may (i'm not an expert) cover this

9. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

I did contact Acer about this about 3 days ago, and just now got a response: http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ac...rect=&p_id=50067&p_tbl=1&p_created=1203969333
    Not sure whether or not any of you guys will be able to see this or not, but just in case you can't it says this: Maximum Memory up to 2GB for 32bit OS (with two 1GB SODIMM), 4GB for 64bit OS (with two 2GB SODIMM) - which I think is retarded because the manual doesn't state all of this in detail like it should ><

Now, what's the difference between 32bit and 64bit?

10. etaf

etaf Moderator

[qupte]Now, what's the difference between 32bit and 64bit?[/quote]
    A Lot its how the software works at the machine level......

I would write back and complain formally about the mis sale

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's absurd, no wonder these Acer are so cheap and it is deceptive advertising as no one can really run 64 bit right yet as there are so few programs and drivers available and especially if they set it up 32 bit.

12. Hitsu

Hitsu Thread Starter

Also another thing, I ran CPU-Z because the dude at Acer support said that I can handle a 64bit OS (whichever 64bit OS I can handle I don't know because he didn't specify!) and I get no indication that my processor is a 64bit processor. But w/e I'll try putting a 64bit OS on there and see what happens >< and unfortunately I cant complain to the store which I bought the notebook from because I used to work there and I bought it right before I quit lol

but if I cant get a 64bit OS to work (which 90% sure it wont be able to work), be it XP or Vista, I'm going to complain big time.

Also, are there special drivers for 64bit OS? I can't download and use the ones that are offered? Because I don't see anywhere like a special 64bit driver page or anything, however there are Vista and XP drivers available

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes there are special 64 bit drivers or should be for all hardware or components will not work.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/686189