1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer notebook won't sleep + restarts not shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by laser132217, Jul 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. laser132217

laser132217 Thread Starter

Hi, I've been trying to set up my old Acer Aspire Timeline X pc as a Plex media server. I noticed that the laptop immediately wakes from sleep. When idle it'll eventually go into sleep mode and then immediately wake again. This is confirmed from the event viewer log but the reason for wake is listed as unknown.

Running powercfg -requests from the command line indicated Legacy Kernel Caller preventing sleep mode but I can't figure out what the root cause is. I have just clean installed Windows 10 and even after that the PC won't sleep. I've tried disabling network drivers etc but no luck. I have also noticed that when I opt to shutdown from the Windows 10 start menu, the PC shutsdown but then immediately boots again. So it's restarting not shutting down. Don't know if the two are related?

If anyone can offer any advice I'd appreciate it. It'll make a good media server PC but I don't want it running all the time. Thanks in advance.

2. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

I need the exact model number in order to help, OK?

3. laser132217

Thanks for the reply. It's a Aspire 4820T.

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Its in the form of TimelineX 4820T-6645 and the last 4 digits let me find your support page and the specs!

5. laser132217

Apologies! Attached is an image of the back...

Attached Files:

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The full model number is 4820T-353G25 MNKS and it is on the white strip at the bottom of your pic.

The latest BIOS for that model is from April 2011 and is version 1.25. Have you installed it? http://global-download.acer.com/GDF...1000&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE 4820T&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Since the BIOS programs all of the hardware's timing before the PC even boots, it could easily solve your problem.

7. laser132217

Thank you for the support. I've updated the BIOS and while the machine sounds like it's running a lot smoother (far less fan use than before), the log in Event viewer is still suggesting it is only sleeping for about 4 seconds before waking again. Perhaps this is just one of those things I'll have to get used to!

8. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

"Event viewer is still suggesting it is only sleeping for about 4 seconds before waking again" That usually happens when something tells it to wake up or refuses to go to sleep.
    First; though, does it shutdown now?

9. laser132217

No, the shutdown issues are persisting... Quite a few reports of similar problems when clean installing Windows 10 on the Acer forums. Solution for many seems to be rolling back Intel Management Engine driver so going to try that. Will report back.

10. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

11. laser132217

That hasn't solved the problem unfortunately as shown by the screenshot. Thank you for your continued support.

Attached Files:

12. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

So you turned off fast startup, instantly restarted, went back and checked that it had stayed unchecked, and the PC still won't shutdown?

13. laser132217

That's correct. I followed those instructions to the letter and it still just shutsdown and then immediately restarts.

14. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Go to the device manager, expand the system devices section, right-click the Intel Management Engine (yada), and choose disable. Windows will probably say it needs to reboot so do so and then test.

15. laser132217

IMEI disabled (wasn't prompted to restart though). Shut down and sleep problems still persisting.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1174569

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice