1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer TravelMate 2303LC notebook - suspected battery problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andyj941, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyj941

andyj941 Thread Starter

i I have an Acer TravelMate 2303LC notebook which has always been reliable and adequate for my needs. However when I was in the middle of doing some very important work in January it wouldn't power up when I pressed the power on/off button, despite it always being plugged in at the wall. I checked everything - the battery was charged before I last turned it off and it was always connected to the A/C adaptor which was lit up so was working ok. The only thing that made it switch on was by releasing the battery underneath, disconnecting it then reconnecting it - when I did this is started up no problem.

This only happened the once in January and once again 3 days ago. Is this a problem experienced by other users and what is the cause of the problem? Is there any action that needs taking?

2. racock

racock

Could be a problem with the DC board on the laptop, I've replaced a fair few in my time, but that's probably not a lot of use to you, since unless you can get hold of the parts and are happy about taking the thing apart, there's not a lot you can do about it. If it keeps doing it, then if you know anyone with a similar laptop with the same or identical power output and connector, then try to convince them to let you swap it for a bit.

Otherwise, it's a trip to the dealer / repair centre.

:(

3. andyj941

andyj941 Thread Starter

Sorry this reflects my ignorance and little knowledge about laptop hardware but what is the DC board and what does it do? And how will swapping the power output and connector help?! Thanks

4. racock

racock

The DC board is the one that deals with which power source to use to run on and are normally a daughter-board to the motherboard. These often cook themselves and lead to a 'confused' machine, or one with just no power at all.

Swapping the AC adapter would just make sure that your one is providing the correct output, and that the connector is making proper ..um.. connection. This is a grasping at straws thing, because I'm doubting that you're going to easilly get hold of a DC board just to see if it's knackered, since manufacturer's only normally ship them out to authorised repair centre's, and you're not likely to want to shell out for one in case it's not that (could be the motherboard itself that's at fault).

Rich (harbinger of bad news).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/576762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice