1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Travelmate 6292 slow startup and shutdown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WKTham, Oct 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WKTham

WKTham Thread Starter

I have just took over a 4 years old Acer Travelmate 6292 from my brother who use to bring along during his overseas trips for convenience and handy usage. Now I encounter this problem of having a very slow startup and when I shut it down it is also very slow. Can the experts here guide me through on how to proceed and trouble shoot it right...??? Thank you.

I am new here and I have been trying to google for an answer to solve this problem but doesn't seems to work. Eventually, I came across this Forum and read some similar procedures suggest for proceed with a hijack of the programs and so forth. I am stuck here after getting a report out from the hijack process. Can anyone advise me further on how I should proceed from here...??? Thank you.

2. bravo3Sgt

bravo3Sgt

I would advise you to perform a clean boot first.

3. WKTham

WKTham Thread Starter

Thank you brother for giving attention to my request. Can you teach me step by step on how to proceed carrying out a clean boot...??? Or do you suggest that I should format the entire TravelMate and re-instal everything anew...??? BTW, I already have in the hand the list copied on a clip board the report done out after I have performed the running of this "hijack"... Will this be helpful for you to help me in solving this slow start up and slow shut down problem...??? Thank you very much...

4. bravo3Sgt

bravo3Sgt

It will. But I'm no expert in reading hijack logs.

Anyway, for you to perform a clean boot, do the ff:

1. click start, type "msconfig"
    2. Under the general tab, click selective startup and uncheck "load startup items"
    3. go to the services tab
    4. put a check on "hide all microsoft services", then click "disable all"
    5. restart your computer

Let me know if you encounter improvements

5. WKTham

WKTham Thread Starter

It seem totally can't work at all... The whole TravelMate hang and I need to "force" shut down the laptop and restart it again. I did this many times.

Each time when I re-start, a small window pops up to prompt me with the following words:

"You have used the System Configuration Utilityto make a change to the way Windows Starts.

The System Configuration Utility is current in Diagnoctic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the Utility to run every time Window Starts.

Chose the Normal Startup mode on General tabs to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using System Configuration Utility."

So from here, can you teach me how should I proceed..??? What should I do before I can get to this System Configuration Utility to make the changes if any is needed...??? How should the changes be made..??? Waiting for your instruation. Thank you very much...

6. bravo3Sgt

bravo3Sgt

That window pops up to inform you that you've made changes. Just press OK and it should log on just fine. Did you notice a change?
    Do you know how to get to safe mode?

7. WKTham

WKTham Thread Starter

This same message keep repeating as what I have told you : "You have used the System Configuration Utilityto make a change to the way Windows Starts.

The System Configuration Utility is current in Diagnoctic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the Utility to run every time Window Starts.

Chose the Normal Startup mode on General tabs to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using System Configuration Utility."

And there is no way for me to get the system started running.. I almost wanted to cry....

Eventually what I have done was to insert the back-up disk and proceed to do a formatting and re-install everything anew..

Oh... it was really **** for me...!!! I ended up even landed into hot soup...

I put in the 2nd backup disk instead of the first one as a proper sequence...!!! Now the whole Travelmate hang and I am left with no way out...

Each time I try to restart, it prompted me to go with "Ctrl+Alt+Del"... After doing it, the screen black out again... If I restart, a repeat of the same comes back...

I'm quite green in all these IT issues and really don't know how to go with it now..

So what should I do so that I can do a correct re-install if I am to put the 1st backup disk in follow by the 2nd backup disk...??? Can you teach me step by step...??? Thank you very much...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1073350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice