1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acer Windows 7 freezes

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Peter2301, May 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

Running an Acer Aspire 5742 running Windows 7. It freezes intermittently. Does not crash just freezers, no blue screen or error message. The only way to access it is to hold down power button and reboot. I thought Windows might be corrupt. So I ran the recovery programme and re-installed to factory install. So a brand new install was done problem persists. IT seemd to happen when trying to access the internet especially windows update. As the problem persisted I replaced the hard drive and again a full install from the install disks I created. Still the problem persists.
    AS it seemed to happen when I accessed the internet I updated all the network card drivers. Problem still there.
    I then removed the wifi card from the laptop and run it from Lan only. Still freezes. I completely removed the LAN driver and fitted the WiFi card back, re-installed new WiFi driver. And it still froze. I have re-seated the RAM modules and tried new ones. No effect.
    Any ideas?

2. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

Here are the system specs
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit\par
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5\par
    Processor Count: 2\par
    RAM: 2806 Mb\par
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1275 Mb\par
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 285674 MB, Free - 255172 MB;\par
    Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 5742Z\par
    Antivirus: McAfee VirusScan, Updated and Enabled\par
    }

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    My first guess is overheating.

Is its exhaust fan(s) working and expelling the hot air from inside the case?

-------------------------------------------------------

4. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

Yes fan is on and appears to be clean as do the vents. If it was overheating wouldnt the laptop just power down?

5. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

Just checked the fan isnt coming on, must be intermittent as it was when I checked earlier. Problem solved.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The exhaust fan should not run continuously, but should cycle on and off as needed.

Depending on the laptop model and the amount of overheating, it can either freeze up or shut down.

-----------------------------------------------------------

We don't know how you use that laptop and what's installed and running in it, so that may have a bearing on the issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------

7. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

Its a fresh install of Windows, so its not running anything at the moment but had it on for 10 minutes now and fan hasnt kicked on once

8. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

scratch that fan is working fine.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here to download and save the portable version of Speccy in an empty folder.

Extract its contents into that same folder.

Double-click "Speccy64.exe" to load its main window, then wait for the scanning process to finish.

Click "View - Options", then change the temperature to "Imperial (F)", then click OK.

Keep Speccy's main window open while you use the laptop, then see if there's a big fluctuation or increase in temperatures.

----------------------------------------------------------

10. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

Seems to be fluctuating between 115-123

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Those temperatures are fine for your laptop. (y)

The temperatures in my Dell Precision M6400 WorkStation laptop fluctuate between 135 - 145 F, and it runs fine.

----------------------------------------------------------

12. Peter2301

Peter2301 Thread Starter

So its a total mystery as to why it keeps freezing, its now been running an hour without freezing. Yet other times it can freeze after just a few minutes

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm as stumped as you are. :confused:

---------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice