1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acess or Excel, which one to use for my project?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by sarainelkins, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. escalader

escalader

Right! It's all very well all us "experts" advising a real user what to do etc etc!

Why not take a few records and try out access and excel so she can see for real!

The only thing we don't know is how many existing records are in each option!

Where is our customer anyway? Everybody except her is talking? Have we chased her away?

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

One thing not mentioned about Sara's original post is if she upgrades to Office 2003 and it is the Standard version, that does not come with Access (the Professional does, which comes with a higher price tag).

To enter my own opinion (since we're throwing them around ;) ), well, I couldn't put it much better than OBP. Map out what you really want to do with this information now and in the future, as well as how you want to control it.

In the short term, Excel will probably be the easiest application to work with. In the long term, Access will probably be the easiest application to work with. Access takes a lot more work up front, but the results are spectacular.

Another option would be to use Word's Mail Merge feature.

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I agree with OBP. And, in this instance, I'm pretty sure you don't need to do much of anything for a while. Here's an Access database to play with or to use:
    http://www.theofficeexperts.com/downloads/MyAddies.zip

It's VERY cool. I'll bet OBP could make something similar if you don't like that one. And OBP really will make you one. I've seen him do it for others. He's tireless!!

4. firestormer

firestormer

It is true Access is complex to use, but once you've had a look around and a mess about its not so bad.

I would suggesst using Access as this will help you meet your end user requierments better.

But i would suggest looking at what software your end user has already.

I also sugest you make a prototype first and make frequent backups of you database.

5. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice