1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acess points-cant lay games over it

Discussion in 'Networking' started by haplo210, Jan 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

I use a wireless acess point connected to my router to get the internet in my room and it worked fine, th eother computer is plugged into the ethernet port and the internet works there also.

The problem im haveing is whenever i go to play any games online they cannot connect. They can update themselves over the net but when i try and find servers etc they say cannot connect. Check your network settings.

What am i to check for? I can use the internet and things like msn fine. Any ideas why i cant play games? I used to be able to on th ewired pc. Havent tried lately.

This i svery annoying. My router is made by netgear (dont know model number) and has an inbuilt firewall and the acess point made by linksys.

Someone said to me it could be a case of opening ports on the router> But i have only a vague id of how to do this. Plus im thinking its a problem with the acess point rather than the Router as i used to play games on the other computer.

Can anyone help?

2. coulterp

coulterp

On a Netgear the Port forwarding page is usually under the Advanced Settings section in the GUI menu. The name of the game would help because then someone could tell you the port number to open.

How to port-forward a general collection of Netgears is described in: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101145.asp

Common ports are listed in: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100495.asp

Otherwise more details about the Linksys would also help. For example, Linksys usually default to using a different subnet (192.168.1.x/24) to Netgear (192.168.0.x/24). Have you adjusted the Linksys IP address to be in/use the Netgear subnet? The model number of both router and WAP would help if you want directions to actual manual pages; in the case of the Netgear it's on a label on the bottom of the device; just looked at mine now confirms!

3. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

the ap is wap54uk. my netgear il post when i get in. at work now. it gives ip 192.168.0.1 i think. so when i put the linksys cd in rather than the default i should use that one? i know nothng about networking. i will look at opening ports later. could it be the wap limiting what i can do? i dont know. games that dont work. final fantasy 11, unreal tournament 04, cs, em comand and conquer generals. im sure i can play them on the other computer tho. il check tonight. thanks. any other info u need?

4. coulterp

coulterp

Chapter 6 ("Configuring the Wireless-G Access Point") of the wap54uk user guide has a screen dump Figure 6-2 of the screen on which you can change the IP of the WAP. You will need to change it from the default of 192.168.1.245 to match the Netgear subnet. Suggest you change it to 192.168.0.245.

unreal tournament was in the list in the second link I posted in the last message. For the others you should be able to find the relevant port(s) in their documentation (online or otherwise).

5. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

thanks. sorry for the delay in posting. had to work on. the router is model number dg834. i can see why that would cause trouble. but why can i still aces the net with the default ip? hopefuly this will work. got to go out again so il post back tomorow. thanks.

6. coulterp

coulterp

The netgear dg834 is a wireless adsl router ... why do you need the linksys WAP was well? Can the wireless in the netgear not meet your needs? It would reduce the complication of trying to get another bit of kit working.

7. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

my routers not wireless. its an adsl router with inbuilt firewall. it beter not be wireles. just checked. definately not. says on botom adsl router with inbuilt firewal. so i set my ip for the acess point to the same as the router just change the 100 at the end 2 101 or 245 or something i should be good? thanks for the help. will let you know how i get on.

8. coulterp

coulterp

my mistake - I was looking at the dg834g.

9. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

10. haplo210

haplo210 Thread Starter

damn tired to open the ports seems my dads been smart tho and changed teh password on the router...hmmm now to try and convince hime to give me it.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/322513

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice