1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

acpi bios error; illegal port

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by britfromla, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. britfromla

britfromla Thread Starter

I recently installed xp. I tried to load the easy creator and it started messing up. I got the new one from HP and installed it but my computer still has the error message that Bios is trying to write to an illegal port. Should I just reformat and start all over and install the new cd? Someone I hired said they fixed it but it is worse... thanks!

2. Jest8

Jest8

Can you give us some more details?

What exactly is the error message, and when does it happen?

And you might want to give us the manufacture/model of your motherboard if you can...

3. britfromla

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ACPI
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5
    Date: 7/2/2003
    Time: 6:47:09 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ROB-PC
    Description:
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0xcf8), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 05 00 05 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

4. britfromla

that is the error message i am getting. It started after I tried to load the adaptec easy creator. My hard drive is by western digital. the cd writer is by HP. I just want to get it where i can download stuff and use my computer without it constantly shutting off and stuff. The other day I got the blue screen Stop.... what should I do?

5. britfromla

the error message says it is coming from the CMOS i/o range 0070 and 0071 if that helps anything

6. Jest8

Jest8

If you can find out the make/model of your motherboard we can help you to update your BIOS... That might just solve your problems.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect it has nothing to do with your BIOS. This is normally a result of a corruption or simply a bad program. It could also be as a result of virus or Trojan damage to the system. If the error only started occuring after you attempted the installation of an application, that's the first place to look. This is where a GHOST image backup comes in very handy. :D

8. Jest8

Jest8

Check here for the reason why I believe it's a BIOS issue

( but i agree with JohnWill... grab yourself a copy of Ghost for future use!!)

9. korgul

korgul

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/143987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice