1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ACPI BIOS error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by birderrob, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. birderrob

birderrob Thread Starter

I keep receiving this same type of error (quoted from Win XP event viewer):

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: ACPI
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5
    Date: 7/2/2003
    Time: 6:47:09 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: ROB-PC
    Description:
    AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to write to an illegal IO port address (0xcf8), which lies in the 0xcf8 - 0xcff protected address range. This could lead to system instability. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 52 00 ......R.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 05 00 05 c0 .......À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

There are usually 4 errors at approx the same time - 2 write, & 2 read errors. This error occurs when I'm copying data to my cd-rw through the use of InCD packet writing software. The computer pops up a 'blue screen of death' for about 1 second, then reboots. I'm running xp pro.

Thanks in advance.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, you can disable the "reboot on error" option, which I recommend.

This error normally isn't really a BIOS issue, but rather bad drivers. InCD probably qualifies as a bad driver, it's pretty flaky. :)

3. birderrob

birderrob Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I disabled the 'Automatically restart' option, so I'll just see what happens. Do you know if other packet writing software is as bad as InCD is?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I haven't had great luck with either Nero InCD, though the rest of the package is top-shelf. I think the only good part of Roxio's EZ-Creator is their direct-CD driver, you might consider that. :)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I too have never had any luck running InCD. I would uninstall incd and use xp’s burning software for the same purpose you used incd. You can copy data using nero to write a data cd; that is how I do it.

6. birderrob

birderrob Thread Starter

I wasn't aware that XP had built in software that mimics InCD. How do I set it up so any program can burn to the cd? My understanding was that you could write a whole cd at a time in XP, but I write one file at a time using programs other than Explorer. I need to have a real drive letter available to use.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have only used xps burning software a few times; so there may be other ways to do this task.
    You need to use windows explorer, select the files you want to copy and then burn them to a cd.

8. lisakmusco

lisakmusco

I apologize in advance for reviving an old thread, but as I was researching my ACPI BIOS error (see separate post), I came across this and am wondering if Win2K has the same capabilities (for burning cds) or if someone can suggest something other than InCD for me. I don't really know much about burning CDs and do it very rarely, and can't necessarily say that it is causing me any problems, but I do have it installed because it is what came with my drive.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Win2k does not have native CD burning capability. I would recommend nero. You can burn data, video, mp3, bootable, etc CDs with nero. If you use INCD to burn data files, you must have INCD [or a reader app] installed on any system that you wish to use the files on. With nero, you can just access the files.

BTW nero is the maker of INCD.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/143936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice