1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Acquiring Network Address......

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by block20, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. block20

block20 Thread Starter

Hi there,

Iv got an HP Pavilion dv6730ei which i painstakendly converted the os from vista to xp, as i was left with no choice. I dont know a great deal about computers but iv learnt a lot more from this past experience. My notebook has an Atheros AR5006X wireless network adapter which seems to be working just fine in device manager, and its detecting the wireless network i need to connect to. The desktop where the router is connected has no problem and is working perfectly, but when i try connect to the network it connects and then says acquiring network address forever. I read that one could ping the network to see if its communicating with it, but im still a bit confused with the whole ip address concept. Im not sure if the computer has the ip address or the router or both, and because of this i wasnt sure which address to ping.

There is a yellow question mark next to one of the ethernet controllers in device manager, but i assumed thats because i havent installed all the required drivers yet, which i cannot do until iv installed the required windows updates.

There is a security key which i have to enter when attempting to connect to the network and iv checked that it is correct.

In cmd, when i type ipconfig, it brings back, "ethernet adapter wireless network selection" with an ip address and subnet mask of 0.0.0.0.

Still in cmd, when i type ipconfig/renew, it hangs for awhile and then returns, "An error occured while renewing interface wireless network connection : unable to contact your DHCP server, Request has timed out." I checked in services and the DHCP client is started and on automatic.

Please please help.

Blake

2. block20

block20 Thread Starter

Sorry i forgot to mention im using xp sp2

3. Hughv

Hughv

Post the results of ipconfig /all
    You shouldn't need Windows update to install the ethernet adapter. Just download the driver from HP and copy it to a flash drive or CD.

4. block20

block20 Thread Starter

i cannot get the drivers from hp. It doesnt support xp on my notebook so I've had to "make a plan". Think that ethernet adapter is for connecting to the router via cable???????????

heres ipconfig/all...

Windows IP configuration

Host name: block
    Primary DNS suffix:
    Node type: unknown
    IP rounting enabled: NO
    WINS Proxy Enabled: NO

Ethernet Adapter wireless network connection:

Media state: Media disconnected
    Description: Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network adapter
    Physical Address: 00-1E-4C-A6-41-9E

thank you so much for your timely response

5. Hughv

Hughv

Are you running a firewall or a special HOSTS file? (Host name: Block)
    In Network Settings, see if you can create a new wireless connection.

6. block20

block20 Thread Starter

im not sure where that host name came from. why would i need to create a new internet connectoin if it is wireless?? how would one go about creating a new wireless connection if they are connections which have to be found and not created??

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice