1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Acrobat failed to load its core DLL

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by elsb, Feb 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

I have Acrobat Reader XI on a Windows XP system. Could open PDFs fine until this week. I get a message that says I need to open it with protected mode disabled. If I do that I get an error message that says: Acrobat failed to load its CORE DLL. I tried to get Acrobat Reader XI to repair itself in the add/remove programs section, but get a message that says 'this patch pkg could not be opened'. So, the next solution listed on the acrobat website was to check for rootkits, so I did a scan with Kaspersky. It came up clean. The next solution says to remove and reinstall. I'm a little leery about doing that since am not sure the most current Acrobat software will load on XP. Yes, I know I am using an outdated operating system, but love Outlook Express. I use it to run a continuing education program. And OE only runs on XP. Any ideas you have will be appreciated. THANK YOU!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    No ideas here. :( But I did notice that this version claims to be compatible with Windows XP.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If I remember correctly, the newest version of Adobe Reader that will install and work in Windows XP SP3 is 11.0.08
    https://www.neowin.net/news/adobe-reader-xi-11008/

I'm pretty sure that none of the versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC will work.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Thanks. I have version 11.0.18 at this time. So, do I remove the current reader and install again?

5. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Thanks. I have 11.0.18 now. Or so that's what it says in the properties for Adobe Reader.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    At least one of the links that we gave should work, so you could uninstall and then install anew.

7. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Thanks and another question. I installed the anti virus Clamwin late last week and ran a few scans. And this week the Adobe reader won't open PDFs. I checked the quarantine for Clamwin and it has the following entries. Do you think those files being removed are causing me not to be able to open PDFs?

Adobe reader upd11013.msp.infected
    Adobe reader upd11014.msp.infected

Also the following files are quarantined from Acrobat reader
    acrobroker.exe.infected
    acroext.exe.infected
    acrord32.dll.infected

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sure looks that way.

9. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Should I un quarantine those files?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I have no idea. If you have been toying with suspicious PDF files you may want to uninstall Adobe Reader and delete those files and install anew.

If you think there's not really any problem other than that anti-virus program then uninstall it and un-quarantine the files.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    elsb:

Clamwin is very inaffective and hasn't been updated in years, so get rid of it.

There are NO up-to-date antivirus apps that support Windows XP SP3.

I maintain a Windows XP Pro SP3 test computer on a monthly basis, so I'm aware of the increasingly number of apps that no longer support it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

I don't open questionable PDF files. Only the ones I create :) Yea, I think I will un-quarantine those files. My former Antivirus, Avira, never put those files into quarantine. Avira stopped updating virus definitions in January, so I had to find a different anti-virus that works with XP. What a time consuming experience! I downloaded Avast on Wednesday and plan to disable Clamwin after taking those files out of quarantine. Thanks again for your help with this.

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Do NOT install Avast.
    Besides its most current version not supporting Windows XP SP3, installing it may cause an issue with the internet connection.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Already installed When I researched XP antiviruses, Avast version 18.8 was recommended. It won't update to future software versions, but will update the virus definitions. That's what I read. Hope it works. Clamwin is really not very effective as it only checks for a fraction of new daily viruses, from what I have since learned after installing it.

15. elsb

elsb Thread Starter

Yes, I will uninstall Clamwin after I figure out this Adobe Reader thing. I have Windows XP version 5.1 Service pack 3. Yes, there tends to be a growing number of unsupported software and websites. It seems that Chrome works better than Firefox for XP. Thanks for your input with all of this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1239898

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice