Acrobat Reader

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fagin

I hope this is the correct section to post this.

This a meant as a bit of a warning but also a question.

I use Acrobat Reader, which occasionally tries to access the Internet ti check for updates.

But just recently its been trying to access the Internet to update three or four times a week, as indicated by ZoneAlarm asking permission to allow it, to exit my computer, which is a lot more often than usual,.

So one morning, i allowed it to access the Internet to update, and the program updated no problem, only a couple of hours or so after the update, Acrobat Reader was again trying to access the Internet, so i allowed the program out, and again it came up with another update, so having updated once that day, i canceled the update by clicking the option to cancel.

The dialog box disappeared as it should, and i carried on working, but then i got a Dialog box from Spybot, asking if i wanted to allow a change to my Registry, when i checked what was trying to make changes to my Registry, it was Acrobat Reader, so even though i had canceled the up date, it was still trying to alter my registry.

Would any one know why this is?

Thanks in advance.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
Sometimes when I try to open a PDF link in Internet Explorer my PC will seem to freeze. If I close IE, I see the Adobe Reader update notification window was hiding behind IE (and that is the reason the PDF did not open). Fortunately there is a "Do not automatically check for critical updates" setting in Adobe Reader preferences.

Fagin

Thanks Frank, ile see to that right away.

But do you not see this as a security threat, seeing as i canceled the up date but it was still trying to change the registry? if it had not been for Spybot, i would have not been any the wiser.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I don't know why it would continue trying to access the registry after you cancelled the update. However, if you disable updates it should not try to connect to the Internet again. I disabled updates months ago after I found Adobe Reader had updated itself from version 7 to version 8 (I dont like version 8).

Fagin

Thanks a lot Frank, ime most great full for your advise.

You guys seem to have this sorted but I thought I would have my five cents:
I have had it with ADOBE READER. The fact that it takes a long time to load is an annoyance, but more frustrating is all the stuff it tries to add to your PC, photo albums and I don't know what else. Yes, I know just unselect them, but then the next time you are on the net, there it is again...
So anyway searched around for an alternative and found lots of people recommending foxit reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
It actually works exceptionally well and to date I have had no problems with it.
PS, the basic version is free although it does not look like it initially.

karbo

Banned
You guys seem to have this sorted but I thought I would have my five cents:
I have had it with ADOBE READER. The fact that it takes a long time to load is an annoyance, but more frustrating is all the stuff it tries to add to your PC, photo albums and I don't know what else. Yes, I know just unselect them, but then the next time you are on the net, there it is again...
So anyway searched around for an alternative and found lots of people recommending foxit reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
It actually works exceptionally well and to date I have had no problems with it.
PS, the basic version is free although it does not look like it initially.

I second that!(y) Why use a huge 100 MB invasive program only to open pdf files! Foxit is only about 5.6 MB and does a really good job. And it opens instantly!

cwwozniak

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Chuck
FWiW, I did find one bug in Foxit Reader. We get product spec sheets from the factory as PDF files with all of the pages in portrait mode. In order to make the mechanical drawing pages easier to read, I rotate just those pages 90 degrees clockwise with a full version of Adobe Acrobat. The rotated pages appear and print OK in Acrobat and Acrobat reader. They appear (and print) totally blank in Foxit Reader. The last time I checked the Foxit web site forums, they are aware of the problem but have not yet corrected it.

I second that!(y) Why use a huge 100 MB invasive program only to open pdf files! Foxit is only about 5.6 MB and does a really good job. And it opens instantly!
I totally agree with this comment and other similar ones.
I have been using Foxit Reader for a long time. It is excellent..:cool:

karbo

Banned
I always hated pdf files and Acrobat Reader. I only used Acrobat Reader to open pdf files. Can you imagine the trouble I had only to read stupid pdf files! On a new computer, I had to download a 100 MB program wich always prompts you for updates.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online